[comp.sys.apple] Kermit 3.76

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (07/16/87)

I haven't seen anything about Kermit 3.76 from Columbia.  Is that
a "pre-release" version?  If somebody would run that through
EXECUTIONER (or if on bitnet with a VM/SP or compatible, just upload
it in binary with kermit) and send me a copy, I'd be happy to try
it on my //c (and even an unenhanced //e with a real, Apple brand
SSC).  I use SOFTERM 2's VT-100 emulation daily, but there are others
here who'd like the same capability without having to invest all the
$$$$.

I'm puzzled about what I'm getting from Info-Apple.  I'm still receiving
messages dated July 8 and 9 (although I didn't get Medin's message, or
apparently at least one other for which I have gotten a reply).  I did
get back a message I posted yesterday, but not ones I posted last week
(I've gotten at least one direct reply to a message I posted but haven't
had echoed back from Info-Apple).  It's getting weird out there folks!

Is is just us on bitnet, or are others getting messages out of sequence
and days late too?

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (07/16/87)

Thank you for the offer.  I'd appreciate receiving a copy at
your convenience.

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (07/18/87)

Dick Atlee was kind enough to send me Kermit 3.76 (which I am using
in VT100 emulation on a //c to enter this message) although he is
missing the most important parts of the documentation (such as which
keystrokes invoke such things as "toggle insert.").  I've managed to
figure out enough by hit or miss to get along a little, although docs
would be nice (if you send them to Dick, he'll send them to me, and if
you send them to me I'll send them to him).

Curious.  The VT100 emulation does not use inverse video to emulate the
alternate character intensity (as does SOFTERM and Jim Haye's DCOM), but
when our System/1 gets a character sequence it doesn't understand IT sends
error messages in inverse video!

The other odd thing is that the program hangs if I use auto repeat (as
in holding down the "cursor down" and trying to run the cursor down the
screen) or if I'm using the "type ahead" (typing while the System/1 one
is displaying).  I do not have that problem with Softerm or DCOM (which use
polling rather than interrupts) or Dick Atlee's Kermit-2A in ADM-3A mode
(which does use interrupts).

I haven't tried a file transfer yet, but other than what's reported above,
I haven't noted any difficulty with the screen display.  What should I
be looking for?

hayes@wizard.ucsd.edu (James Hayes) (07/23/87)

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes in article <8707161253.aa24050@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>:
>SSC).  I use SOFTERM 2's VT-100 emulation daily, but there are others
>here who'd like the same capability without having to invest all the
>$$$$.

DCOM's PRODOS/KERMIT capability is almost finished.  I expect about
another month or two before I'm ready to unleash it on the net.

I am taking votes on how keyboard macros should work.  I have seen very good
methods for automating login sequences and the like, but am open to
suggestions.

I realize, however, I mentioned some time ago that DCOM would get XMODEM
because KERMIT was just too complicated.  I am quite proud to eat my words.
The barebones KERMIT protocol fits in 1K of 6502 code.  Add ProDOS overhead
and user interface, and I project 3K.  What makes production KERMIT so
large seems to be the command line TOPS-like interpreter.

Anyway, it's coming. "Real Soon Now"

Jim Hayes, University of California at San Diego.

BITNET: hayes%sdcsvax@WISCVM.BITNET
ARPA:	hayes@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
UUCP:   {pick one close to berkeley}!sdcsvax!hayes

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (07/26/87)

I think we're all waiting for the new ProDOS version of Kermit!!!
I have been promised copies from UMass/Amherst, The Boston Computer
Society/Apple User Group and Columbia itself!
However, I do NOT have a copy as of yet; if any of you do; please put
it in BNY format, upload it to the NET so that we all can examine it
and let's have a go at it!
ProTERM is obviously not working for me - it trashed three disks (proDOS)
already even though I patched the proDOS to eliminate the 00 trasihing!

--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:  ..cmc12!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (07/29/87)

Note that I got Kermit 3.76 from CIS last week.  It is still a DOS 3.3 version
which supposedly can be copyed over to ProDos and used.  I have had several
problems with it though:

1.	When I try to run it, it tries to read some file from disk.  Since I
only converted over the kermit376 file itself, it doesn't find it and fails.
Anyone know WHAT file it is looking for?

2.	When I run it under DOS 3.3, I cannot figure out how to get the crazy
thing to dial.  Anyone want to tell me how one is supposed to use kermit376?
The doc that I got with it was nice technical doc - it just had nothing to
describe HOW to use the thing.

3.	When I tried to install the software directly under ProDos, it got
VERY unhappy.  Anyone know WHY it insists on using DOS 3.3 for the installation
base?

Thanks all!

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817