[comp.sys.apple] Apple II forever?

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (07/11/87)

It seems "forever" isn't as long as it used to be.  My friends
at the H.U.G.E. Apple (II & Macintosh) computer club tell me
that Compuserve is alive with rumors that Apple is about to
announce the demise of the venerable II line (OR perhaps they'll
not announce the demise and keep the production line rolling, but
there won't be any further product development effort within Apple).

Most of the comment seems to have been instigated by the shake-up
in Apple's "evangelist" group and, apparently, an attitude that the
new "evangelists" are conveying to clubs that says "we only speak
Macintosh" (or a "what are you still here?" response to Apple II
owners).

Were I Apple, I too would put most of my chips on the Mac.  IBM has
handed Apple the marketing opportunity of the century, but it's a
real question whether Apple will be able to mobilize to take advantage
of it (best guess is it will be about 18 months before the PS/2
catches up to where the Mac is today).  However, Apple is crazy if
they forget that 40% of new computer buyers already own a computer.
Do they really want Apple II owners trading up to Amigas and Atari ST's
instead of Macintoshes (it's not so far fetched a notion)?  In the
struggle with IBM, does Apple really want LOTS of negative word of
mouth from a national network of Apple II owners?

Remember a month or two ago there was a note on INFO-APPLE about
Apple's fan introducing hum into IIgs sound?  Have you seen the
editorial in the August A+ (which includes Apple's "back of the
hand" response -- Apple II owners' gripes tend to become widely
dissiminated VERY quickly)?

The signs seem to be saying that Apple's "on again, off again"
attitude toward the II and user groups is "off again."  And if
that's not bad enough, I've just heard that the only local source
for the Macintosh II is (are you ready for this?) Computerland.
That's a revolting prospect.  Apple touts its dealer network and
then turns its back on the few good dealers it does manage to
attract.  Computerland LOVES IBM (and maybe Compaq) and boy do they
have an undue interest in relieving the customer of his(her) money!

Apple is in contact with the largest Apple clubs in the country.
We get lots of sales pitch and hoopla from Apple but not many
questions.  I guess Mr. Sculley doesn't like us telling him too
many Apple dealers seem to be failed shoe salesmen.  The fact that
it's the truth seems to have escaped his attention.

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (07/28/87)

I would guess that you're right about the demise of the Apple ][
series; just take this for example - take a peek at the comp.sys.macintosh
newsgroup and see all the Apple reps online!!! Are they here? Do they
respond to your postings, or mine?  Not if you're not a Macintosh owner
they don't!  And what are all the schools who have hoardes of Apple ][
computers to do now???  And all the parents who bought Apple ]['s for
kids who use Apple ]['s at school - what will we all do?
Oh sure, shell out another $2,000 and buy a MAC!  Fat chance!
My next purchase is an IBM clone - I've had it up to my neck with
Apple and it's on again off again policies and also with their buggy
programs DOS 3.3 and ProDOS that trash sector 00 on disks without
warning!
--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:  ..cmc12!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (07/28/87)

I don't know who starts these silly rumors.  There is no way Apple will drop
the Apple II at this point.  They are making megabucks on the //gs and the
//e is still selling well.  The education market alone would justify Apple
keeping the II around.  Corporate executives make decisions based on $$$ alone
(well, maybe not only on $$$).  If Apple discontinued the II they would be
flushing half of their profits.  This was why Jobs was forced out.  He was
trying to kill off the Apple II when it was making 60% of Apple's revenue.
People like Del Yocam and Jean-Louis Gasee wouldn't be going to the Apple II
product rollouts and trade shows if they weren't interested in the machine.
The evangelists at Apple don't make key decisions anyway.  They are markting
types.  It is there job to promote the products and give the company feedback
from the users.  Even if they say to dump the II, the ultimate user feedback,
dollars spent on the product, will force Apple to continue with it.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

Marc_R._Krigel.ElSegundo@XEROX.COM (07/28/87)

How about this to make tyou feel the Apple // isn't forever:

I received promotional material for an Apple made IBM compatible.

Marc

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (07/29/87)

Hi there!  I would like to know exactly WHAT rumors you are describing were
heard on MAUG, as well as where.  I am a relatively heave user of Maug's
Apple 2 and Apple Developer's group, and have not seen anything along this
line.  In fact, I have seen just the opposite as far as Apple support goes;
Maug has the technical notes online, the developer's demo disks (4 disks
full of software, including the toolsets, both ProDosii, etc.), and lots
of technical answers freely provided.  I am a GS owner and have found several
of the GS development staff on hand to provide lots of answers to rather
bizarre questions and flame wars...

I don't deny that there are various parts of the 4 or 5 Apple forums that I
dont read so that this rumor could very well have appeared.  Then again,
infoworld had rumors that Apple was going to buy out Sun Micros last year and
we see how far that one got...

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

elliott@dspuv2.steinmetz (jim elliott) (07/29/87)

In article <907@dasys1.UUCP> patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) writes:
>My next purchase is an IBM clone - I've had it up to my neck with
>Apple and it's on again off again policies

And IBM is better? After all these business bought IBM PCs because
they were "standard", and IBM has decided to trash that line and make
everyone buy PS/2s? I hear a LOT businesses are "Just saying NO" to
IBM's new architecture and are looking into NuBus (a la Mac 2) because
it is simply a better architecture.

 .     .    .    .   .  . ... .  .   .    .    .     .    .   .   .  . ... . .

 Jim Elliott                       /    ...!seismo!uunet!steinmetz!crd!elliott
                                  /
 "Don't look, son, it's          /      Jim_Elliott%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu [school]
  a secular humanist!"          /  (or)     elliott@ge-crd.arpa	      [work]
 .     .    .    .   .  . ... .  .   .    .    .     .    .   .   .  . ... . .

sloan@pnet02.CTS.COM (Steve Smythe) (07/30/87)

A friend of mine purchased a Mac II about 5 weeks ago at Infomax in Antioch,
CA (I believe), and is having a ball with it!

I'm still on my rickety Apple ][ plus, 3 floppies, and too many hardware
modifications worth mentioning...  I was very dissapointed when Apple decided
not to allow ][ plus owners the opportunity to upgrade to the A W E S O M E
(back in Feb '83) Apple //e.

The classified columns in the newspapers were plagued with ][ plus owners
selling there machines for a //e... not only are //e owners selling for IIgs's
but Mac owners are selling out (even a few Lisa's here and there) for SE's and
II's!

The // is a great hobbyist machine, and so long as there are those who

             A   P   P   L   E      /   /      F   O   R   E   V   E   R

  UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!sloan
  INET: sloan@pnet02.CTS.COM
USmail: Steve Smythe, 727 San Simeon Ct, Concord CA 94518
  AT&T: 415/685-1073