[comp.sys.apple] GS hardware upgrade status

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (Ted Lee) (07/26/87)

Anyone know what changes have been made in the GS hardware since it
first came out?  A local semi-chain store dealer went bankrupt and is
selling various Apple and IBM PC stuff at about half-price.  Since we
were already quarelling over who got to use the GS I had when, I went
out and got a new system.  The new one has the "WOZ" signature, but
immediately we noticed two differences from the old one:  the desktop
screen in the new one is pure grey (slightly moireed), whereas the one
in the old one was red/white/black/grey.  Teen-age network says that is
because the first models had "defective" video chips.  Second difference
was that Sargon II (yes, an old program) did not work on the first GS I
have (bought in November of 86) but does work fine on the new one.  No
idea what the production date of the new on is.  I will confont my
dealer with the differences, but thought I'd see if anyone else knew
anything.  No word from Apple about any upgrades or fixes, even though I
know I'm registered (got the fancy WOZ certificate.)

Ted Lee, Minneapolis

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (07/28/87)

In //gs machines made after January 87 a new VGC (graphics chip) was used.
There will be an upgrade that will eliminate the Pink fringing you described,
but Apple has not announced it yet.  They are probably waiting for production
of the new chip to get to the point where they can offer the upgrade without
slowing //gs sales.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (07/29/87)

In article <3604@ecsvax.UUCP> ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) writes:

>In //gs machines made after January 87 a new VGC (graphics chip) was used.
>There will be an upgrade that will eliminate the Pink fringing you described,
>but Apple has not announced it yet.

What was the final manufacture date of Woz specials? I got my GS is March '87,
and to my surprize, it's a Woz. I haven't noticed any trouble with the display,
except some almost inperceivable fuzz on the blue screen of the Launcher. I
atrributed it to the monitor, but now I can't be sure. All of my equipment
is 100% Apple except the joystick (DC Hayes - I KNOW that it has no effect :-)
Anyone have any ideas as to how hardware updates will be handled?
David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: You didn't actually believe all that, did you?

mdavis@CHEM.UCSD.EDU (Morgan Davis) (07/30/87)

Apple is supposed to make a public announcement on August 1 1987 about a
hardware upgrade for the original Woz Limited Edition IIGS owners.  This is
undoubtedly the VGC upgrade.  I'll post a full report when I get it.

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (07/30/87)

Apple folks on CIS say that the official announcement about the IIGS upgrade
will be coming out this weekend (Aug 1-2).  When/if it does, I will attempt
to get it up online here on Usenet soon afterwards.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (07/31/87)

I don't know how the hardware upgrades will be handled.  I have recently heard
rumors of a ROM upgrade for the //gs that will put more of the tools in ROM
on the machine.  I think this is supposed to happen at the same time as the
Prodos 16 version 2.0 release (September).  This should be just in time for
Appleworld.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (08/02/87)

just a note - the LATEST rumor is that the announcement this week is of
benefit to ALL GS owners - not just those of us with one VGC chips.  I
wonder if that rumor of new ROM chip toolsets is coming to pass...