[comp.sys.apple] Need II to Mac and Back

bobs@pogo.TEK.COM (Bob Saunders) (08/11/87)

I'd like to have a text file transfer program that works between a Mac and an
Apple //e with a 3.5 inch drive.

I read about a couple of different ones, one called II to Mac and Back, and
another, from the A.P.P.L.E. Co-op I think (at least I think I read about it
in the Call Apple magazine).

Can anyone please send me the info on where to send my money for such a
program?

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.COM (Morgan Davis) (08/12/87)

Bob:  Apple's Karl Young has written an application called "Passport" which
will transfer files between Mac HFS and ProDOS 3.5" disks.  Not only will it
do raw binary or text transfers, but it will also convert certain file formats
to the appropriate format on a foreign disk (i.e., AppleWorks WP to MacWrite).
Developers received beta versions of this program, so I don't know if it's
available for public consumption yet.

In the same vein, Eagle Berns has created two Macintosh applications which
convert Apple IIGS pictures to MacPaint format (after Passporting them, I
would guess), as well as creating the assembler source for using Mac fonts on
the IIGS.  FontMunger will read though a Mac font and produce a text file with
APW assembler directives to produce a font, or will create the binary image of
a FONT file that goes into the SYSTEM/FONTS subdirectory on a ProDOS 16 disk.

UUCP: [ ihnp4 cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.CTS.COM

afoster@ogcvax.UUCP (Allan Foster) (08/13/87)

In article <pogo.3615> bobs@pogo.TEK.COM (Bob Saunders) writes:
>I'd like to have a text file transfer program that works between a Mac and an
>Apple //e with a 3.5 inch drive.

Why dont you look at a program called Passport for the Macintosh?
It is avaialable from APDA for a nominal fee
and is capable of reading an Apple II prodos 3.5
inch disk directly in the mac drive.
It also has the capability of converting several
common Apple II format documents into mac format.
I use it all the time and have not had any trouble
with it.

Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from MAGIC             Arthur C. Clarke.

 Allan Foster     afoster@ogcvax

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (08/14/87)

ProLink, published by ALSoft, Inc (P.O. Box 927, Spring, Texas 77383-0927. Tel:
713-353-4090) does a painless job of transferring ASCII files between Apple ][
and Macintosh. The Apple ][ must have a 800K 3.5 " disk drive. On the Mac, a
800K drive is also needed. The Mac must be at least a Mac 512.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |