[comp.sys.apple] HELP! can't write to floppy drives.

mason@tc.fluke.COM (Nick Mason) (08/19/87)

 Hi!  I am having a weird problem with my Apple IIe and am hoping
 someone can help me.

 I have an apple IIe with 2 floppy disks and the disk controller,
 (in slot 6), an 80 col card in slot 0, and a printer card in
 slot 1.  What has happened is I can boot and read from the disks,
 but I cannot WRITE to the disks.

 I have tried disconnecting everything but one disk drive, switching
 both drives, pushing on all of the IC's on the controller card,etc.
 I even replaced most of the chips on the card.

 I even got a new disk controller card, but the problem came back
 after 2 days.

 My current wild guess is that when the printer was powering up
 and the machine was trying to boot from the disk that something
 happened to the disk controller.

 Any Ideas???

Nick Mason/ms272G/John Fluke Mfg Co/Box C9090/Everett WA 98206 USA
   mason@tc.fluke.COM
UUCP:
 {{cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver} \
{allegra,microsoft,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,sunup} - !fluke!mason
 {ssc-vax,hplsla,wavetek,physio,uw-vlsi,cae780,tikal,telematic} /
ARPA: fluke!mason@uw-beaver.ARPA
BITNET: "fluke!mason@uw-beaver.ARPA"@wiscvm.bitnet

koko@uthub.UUCP (08/20/87)

In article <1515@sputnik.COM>, mason@tc.fluke.COM (Nick Mason) writes:

>  Hi!  I am having a weird problem with my Apple IIe and am hoping
>  someone can help me.
>
>  I have an apple IIe with 2 floppy disks and the disk controller,
>  (in slot 6), an 80 col card in slot 0, and a printer card in
>  slot 1.  What has happened is I can boot and read from the disks,
>  but I cannot WRITE to the disks.

>  Any Ideas???
>
> Nick Mason/ms272G/John Fluke Mfg Co/Box C9090/Everett WA 98206 USA
>    mason@tc.fluke.COM
> UUCP:
>  {{cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver} \
> {allegra,microsoft,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,sunup} - !fluke!mason
>  {ssc-vax,hplsla,wavetek,physio,uw-vlsi,cae780,tikal,telematic} /
> ARPA: fluke!mason@uw-beaver.ARPA
> BITNET: "fluke!mason@uw-beaver.ARPA"@wiscvm.bitnet

Recently I had the same problem with a disk drive on my Apple ][+ clone.
If you have two drives, then swap them, i.e. swap there connections to the
disk controller card.  If the problem goes to the other drive, then it
indeed is the controller.  (However, this is not likely, since most of the
electronics on the board are used by both drives alike.)

Anyways, in my case, the problem turned out to be corroded pins on one of
the chips plugged into the adapter board in the back of my Shugart disk drive
(a model 400, or something like that).  (This adapter board is a small printed
circuit board sitting vertically -- the external cable is plugged into it
directly.  The board is needed when connecting this model of Shugart drive
into an Apple ][+ or ][e system.)  The solution was to unplug that chip,
clean the contacts with polishing compound -- the material used for cleaning
silverware will do -- and plugging it back in.  (A more obvious solution is
to simply replace the chip with a new one!)

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (08/20/87)

In article <1515@sputnik.COM> mason@tc.fluke.COM (Nick Mason) writes:
-> I have an apple IIe with 2 floppy disks and the disk controller,
-> (in slot 6), an 80 col card in slot 0, and a printer card in
-> slot 1.  What has happened is I can boot and read from the disks,
-> but I cannot WRITE to the disks.
->
-> I have tried disconnecting everything but one disk drive, switching
-> both drives, pushing on all of the IC's on the controller card,etc.
-> I even replaced most of the chips on the card.
->
-> I even got a new disk controller card, but the problem came back
-> after 2 days.
->
-> Any Ideas???
->

Oooh, sounds to me like what happenned to me.  Try getting a new ribbon
cable.  For some reason, it can send a false "write protected" status to
DOS.  It can be bad.  You actually can write to the disk, but you have
to tell DOS to ignore the write protected status.  It's not a good thing
to do.  Try getting a new ribbon cable from your dealer or a mail order
house, and if that doesn't work, well, shoot me! :-)

Sean Kamath
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET