[comp.sys.apple] wiscvm shutdown?

CC004019@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) (08/13/87)

Date:         Sat, 8 Aug 87 20:52 EDT
Sender:       BITNIC LIAISON List <LIAISON@BITNIC>
From:         Leo Geoffrion <MANAGER@SKIDMORE>
Subject:      Loss of WISCVM gateway
To:           Eliel Mamousette <ELIEL@BROWNVM>

Wisconsin has recently announced their intent to close the gateway
between BITNET and ARPANET.  This loss will have a serious negative
impact on the effectiveness of BITNET as a communication medium
among colleges and universities.

As the institutional representative for Skidmore College, I strongly
recommend that EDUCOM/BITNIC begin planning for how we can maintain
connectivity to ARPANET.

In case you've not seen their announcement, I've appended it below...

Leo D. Geoffrion                  BITNET:  MANAGER@SKIDMORE.BITNET
Associate Director for             NYNEX:  (518) 584-5000 Ext. 2628
Academic Computing
Skidmore College
Saratoga Springs, NY  12866

Wisconsin's announcement...

(received via INFO-VAX discussion list...)
(forwarded by S.Ball, seb@crnlns.bitnet or system@crnlns.bitnet)

From:   SCINT::XRJJM
        "John McMahon (Fast-Eddie) x4333"  7-AUG-1987 17:25
To:     RON_JARRELL, JPLLSI::"xrhah@scfvm.bitnet",MPP::PGARY,
        JPLLSI::"$vk0@clvm.bitnet",FIRAS::XRRAS,LEE,HUGH,SELDEN,
        RON_TENCATI,GAIL
Subj:   WISCVM

To all concerned:

The following announcement was distributed to several Arpanet mailing lists
today.  In summary it states that the 'official' mail gateway between
Arpanet and Bitnet will be shut down as of December 1st.

On the Bitnet side, this node is known as WISCVM.  On Arpanet it is known
as WISCVM.WISC.EDU.

I do not know how official this announcement is, but I figured you would be
interested in seeing it.

Regards,
John McMahon

From:   CSDR::JPLLSI::"lhl@parmesan.wisc.edu"  7-AUG-1987 20:32
To:     CSDR$SPAN::XRJJM
Subj:   WISCVM FUTURE

Date: Fri, 7 Aug 87 11:32:50 CDT
From: lhl@parmesan.wisc.edu (L.H. Landweber)
To: info-nets@Think.COM, namedroppers@sri-nic.arpa, tcp-ip@sri-nic.arpa
Subject: WISCVM FUTURE
Cc: lhl@parmesan.wisc.edu

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT

On December 1, WISCVM will be shut down.  Hence, as of
that date, we will no longer be able to provide a mail
relay service between Arpanet and BITNET.

WISCVM currently handles between 5 and 10 thousand
messages per day. Clearly, this service is very important
to the academic/research network community. As such
it should be fully supported. Many of you may not
be aware that at present the WISCVM relay is only supported
by a volunteer student (indeed, this summer he
has a full-time job off campus).  Because of the
(admittedly) inadequate level of support, problems
arise periodically. For example, for the past day
most messages have been rejected. The current problem
occurred because there was some ambiguity in our
instructions for installing new host tables.

We would be happy to provide advice on what is
required to run a supported mail relay. Besides
operations and bug fixing, such support should
include consulting for system administrators (if
not for users).  Hopefully, some suitable
organization will be found to provide this
service.

Larry Landweber

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (08/21/87)

Note that in a similar fasion, SIMTEL20's mail source/data server has also
been shut down - see recent issues of the Mac digests for this info.  It seems
as Bitnet/Arpanet/Usenet gets more use, less things are available.  I certainly
hope there are other sites out there who are planning on taking up some
slack.
--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817