[comp.sys.apple] 6502 vs. 65802 / P16 and ECP16

NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Brian Dall) (08/26/87)

I have a question that just occured to me, and I have no refrence to look
up the answer.

Will ProDos 16 run on an Apple //e?  Will it run on a //e if you put a
65802 in it?

If Prodos 16 WILL run on a 65802 equipped //e, will ECP16 run on it also?

If so, I will consider much more seriously the idea of swapping the
processor in my machine, a thought I was only dabbling with before.

       take care,
                                     -Bri

Brian Dall        |                           |"It is dangerous to tell
PO Box 5112       |  NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET  | the people that laws are
NDSU Station      |                           | not just. . . ."
Fargo, ND  58105  |                           |  -Blaise Pascal

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (08/27/87)

In article <270NU092254@NDSUVM1> NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Brian Dall) writes:
>I have a question that just occured to me, and I have no refrence to look
>up the answer.
>
>Will ProDos 16 run on an Apple //e?  Will it run on a //e if you put a
>65802 in it?

I doubt it *very* much. Most things written for the //GS are going to use
the toolbox or ROM calls just as much as they are going to use the
processor, so unless you can convince the porgram that you have the ROM and
the correct switches, etc.  This is really a *very* common misconception
that people have about swapping processors.  The porcessors are about 1/10
the computer, at most.

>If so, I will consider much more seriously the idea of swapping the
>processor in my machine, a thought I was only dabbling with before.

Don't get a 802 unless you program, and unless you porgram in assembly, with
something like Merlin Pro or ORCA/M, which support the 65816 opcodes, you
might as well forget it.
>                                     -Bri

sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET