[comp.sys.apple] 3.5 disk drives.......

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (09/04/87)

Good does not necessarily = cheap in 3.5 in drives.  I have had zero
problems with Apple Unidisk 3.5 in drives running from Apple controllers
on unenhanced and enhanced ][e, and directly plugged into ][c. The non-
unidisk Apple 3.5 inch drive might be a smarter buy, since it should also
work with a Mac (I believe) and with the to-be-introduced AE PC-Transporter
(which will give you an almost-AT inside your ][e, and also run the 3.5
in drive as a ][e 3.5 in drive when it isn't an IBM 3.5 in drive).

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

nazgul@apollo.uucp (Kee Hinckley) (09/09/87)

In article <8709040018.AA22603@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU> halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") writes:
> unidisk Apple 3.5 inch drive might be a smarter buy, since it should also
> work with a Mac (I believe) and with the to-be-introduced AE PC-Transporter
> (which will give you an almost-AT inside your ][e, and also run the 3.5
> in drive as a ][e 3.5 in drive when it isn't an IBM 3.5 in drive).

WARNING!!!  If you are getting a 3.5 disk to backup a hard disk, and the
backup program you want to use is Backup //, do NOT buy a Central Point Software
drive.  Their 3.5 drive does NOT work with Backup // (it fails to do complete
writes of some sectors and gets a write error at the end of the disk).  It
DOES work with Glen Bredon's ProSel backup program (or so they claim) but
that program does a backup up of used sectors rather than a backup of actual
files, which happens to be not what I needed.  I discovered this problem
by self and then called CPS to confirm that it was indeed the case.  I do
not know if they plan on addressing the problem in the future.  Or what
their policy is on taking drives back (for me at least it pretty much negates
the usefulness of the drive; that was the only thing I was going to use it
for).

                                                -nazgul
--
### {mit-erl,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!nazgul  ### apollo!nazgul@eddie.mit.edu ###