[comp.sys.apple] email vs source files

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (09/08/87)

Chris -
I suppose some amount of message traffic is inevitable on the
APPLE2-L list.  However, I think we should all try and use info-apple
for messages and APPLE2-L for program files (hint, hint all).

I'm violating my own prescription in case someone has discovered
APPLE2-L without being on info-apple -- from BITNET:

TELL LISTSERV AT NDSUVM1 SUBSCRIBE INFO-APP your_lastname your_firstname

from other nets send mail requesting you be added to the list to:

info-apple-request@brl.arpa

If you see this message on comp.sys.apple and don't know what APPLE2-L
is (it's an Apple 2 program file list); if you want it send mail to:
LISTSERV@BROWNVM (not to me and NOT to APPLE2-L)
with the message: SUBSCRIBE APPLE2-L your_lastname your_firstname

Chris: are you purging the APPLE2-L 87-xxxxx files that are not programs
or documentation (a good idea I think??)?

---------------------
ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (09/08/87)

As far as I can tell, there is one serious problem with APPLE2-L that I
didn't appreciate at first.  Direct messages (e.g., e-mail) on that list
should only be short notices of what has been stuffed into the files.  I
DO NOT WANT TO RECEIVE CONTRIBUTED PROGRAMS, NO MATTER IN WHAT FORM, BY
DIRECT E-MAIL.  If the mechanism doesn't work that way, it is no better
than info-apple.

tmpl@dockmaster.arpa

CC004019@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) (09/12/87)

>As far as I can tell, there is one serious problem with APPLE2-L that I
>didn't appreciate at first.  Direct messages (e.g., e-mail) on that list
>should only be short notices of what has been stuffed into the files.  I
>DO NOT WANT TO RECEIVE CONTRIBUTED PROGRAMS, NO MATTER IN WHAT FORM, BY
>DIRECT E-MAIL.  If the mechanism doesn't work that way, it is no better
>than info-apple.
>
>tmpl@dockmaster.arpa
*FLAME ON*

Well for those people on bitnet it IS a big help because they can receive
files and not be on the mailing list.  I am sorry if you don't like it
but people on ARPANET have had SIMTEL-20 and us people on bitnet have
had nothing.  Even if this is not the best way, it is a start.  If you don't
like it then don't subscribe.If you want to be able to get files then
get an account on an IBM mainframe.

*FLAME OFF*

Chris