[comp.sys.apple] DCOM

rf1m#@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Vernon Ford) (04/30/87)

To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.sys.apple@andrew.cmu.edu (Outbound News)

Hi,

In Jan of either this year or last year there was a post containing the hex
code for a VT100 emulator for the Apple II called DCOM.  When I downloaded it
to my apple, I accidentally didn't download one part.
The system maintainers here have since deleted all messages before march 15,
1987.  Could someone please
send me the code.

Thanks.

-Richard Ford

ARPA: rf1m#@andrew.cmu.edu
BITNET: rf1m@DRYCAS
UUCP:  seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!rf1m

nemesis@UCSCB.UCSC.EDU (Michael) (05/02/87)

	I have two questions to the field:

	a) I have an A II+ 64k 80coll, etc. Can I use DCOM? How good is it?
	b) Could someone send me the source code? and how hard is it to set
	   up?

	Thanks much,
		Michael  <nemesis@ucscb.ucscc.UCSC.EDU>
			 <arti012@ucsci.ucscc.UCSC.EDU>
	( chateau domain, anyone? )

wmapple@BRL.ARPA (Info-Apple-Request) (05/05/87)

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date:     Mon, 4 May 87 10:40:26 EDT
From:     John Science Fiction & Resume Service Shaver <jshaver@apg-5.arpa>
To:       info-apple-request@BRL.ARPA
Subject:  Re:  DCOM

Sometimes programs use the string facilities of Applesoft.  When Garbage
Collection is required, the system appears to hang up for several minutes.

----- End of forwarded messages

BGABLER@LOYVAX.BITNET (05/05/87)

  I have been hearing a lot about this DCOM lately.  Also some one
  said that it is available in Hex code.   Could someone either send
 me a copy too, or post it publicly on the net here.

       Thanks in advance,
           Barry
                 Gabler

        (BGABLER@LOYVAX.BITNET)

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (05/07/87)

Jim.  I got DCOM, thanx.  It works just dandy.  It does support
the dual intensity cursor (hi intensity is inverse video).  In
fact, it looks just like SOFTERM (with the "old" Apple //e 80
column driver - pre-mousetext).  I still use SOFTERM's old driver
on my unenhanced //e's because I like the way it looks better than
I like the newer version (which had to be changed because of some
of the undesired effects it had in block mode).  I haven't tried
DCOM on my //c, but I'll get around to it this weekend.

If you just add a kermit capability to this thing the entire (HUGE!)
IBM-CMS world will just love you to death.  Most of our systems
support VT-100 (probably all do), and even the ones that do support
VT-52 are less than entirely satisfactory because the VT-52 doesn't
support the dual intensity video that is VERY useful in the IBM editor.

I have only one grunch.  Is there any way to "invert" the arrow keys
with the OA-arrow keys (that's the only difference I've found between
your keyboard and Apple Access II's).  It's rather a pain not to use
the arrows as cursor movement keys.  On those rare occassions when I
really do want the control character, I can hold down and Apple key
to get it (on our system Control-J is the "new line").

I've noticed one other "oddity."  If I hold down the OA-back arrow,
the cursor doesn't appear to move, but it later turns out that it really
has, and the mainframe and my Apple II no longer agree on where the
cursor really is (causing some problems unless I send the command to
refresh the entire screen).

Your documentation didn't mention that the Apple key plus RETURN produces
the keypad "enter" (just as Apple key and period produces the keypad
period).  The keypad keys are different from the regular (alpha) enter
and period keys and are used for other functions (clear screen and toggle
insert) in the IBM-CMS emulation (I haven't a clue why, but that's
the way it is).

This is one of the nicer sharware efforts I've seen.  You are to be
commended.  I'm looking forward to your updated (including file transfer
protocols) version.

hayes@wizard.ucsd.edu (James Hayes) (05/08/87)

Is there an INFO-APPLE type archiving site on bitnet?  The powers that
be are not very happy with all the redundant copies of DCOM floating
around sucking up ARPAnet bandwidth while heading toward BITNET.  I would
like to place a copy of DCOM somewhere in the BITNET domain so I don't
have to keep E-mailing it to people.

Any takers/helpful hints?

I am also interested in PRODOS and why it refuses to run on my 1978
Apple ][ with Applesoft ROMs.   Is it something to do with the AUTOSTART
ROM?  (Socket 'F8' $F800-$FFFF?)  The first version 1.0.x worked fine, but
subsequent versions die on boot.  What are the current versions, and
will I have to buy a new apple //e clone to take advantage of them?

(Oh, could someone explain to me how the traffic from usenet gets to
to non-usenet sites?  Every once in a while I get copies of INFO-APPLE
mailings (unsolicited!) and would like to know how to subscribe
to the group officially.)

As usual, please respond by E-MAIL only. (BITNET sites use
your favorite gateway or if you don't have one, use 'wiscvm'.)

-Jim
Jim Hayes, Univeristy of California at San Diego.

BITNET: hayes%sdcsvax@WISCVM.BITNET
ARPA:	hayes@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
UUCP:   {pick one close to berkeley}!sdcsvax!hayes

j1o@psuvm.bitnet.UUCP (05/11/87)

I agree with what the origonal poster said, and would like to add one thing:

PTL!
Pay The Laborer!

Jim has made this available to us to test! for free.  When I registered our
copy, It was only #49, not a high volume for such a nice program.  Let's
give the man his due!  If you use it, pay for it!

'Nuff said...
-------
Jim Owens  ---> This is a test, this is ONLY a test... <--
{akgua,allegra,ihnp4,cbosgd}!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!j1o

hayes@thor.ucsd.edu (James Hayes) (09/15/87)

Do any of you kind folks know how DCOM works on the //gs?  Specifically,
without any additional hardware, will it use the built-in port or must a
serial card be attached?

I know it works, but I keep hearing conflicting claims about the internal port.

(Oh, if it doesn't, anybody out there have the documentation or sample code
that exercises the //gs internal port? )

Abounding with gratitude in advance...

Jim Hayes, University of California at San Diego.