[comp.sys.apple] Mail from Participate at the Univer

kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (09/19/87)

> Dave Oberhart (FFDDO@ALASKA.BITNET) writes:
>
> I purchased my RamFactor from AE in mid 86, for my IIE.  I also got a
> RamCharger  soon thereafter.
>
> It is in fact possible to cold boot with that configuration.

You have an Enhanced IIe, correct?  Lucky You!

> Unfortunately, the docs that come with the hardware are not
> very descriptive as to how to go about it.

On page 12 of the RamFactor User Manual in the middle of the page, is where
it mentions that you place the RamFactor in slot 7 of an Enhanced IIe to make
it boot with control-open apple-reset, and cold boot if you have the
ramcharger.  I agree that the docs are pretty useless when you want to find
something in particular.  You practically have to read the whole thing front
to back again.

> My Apple comes up running in less than three seconds.  That's the way it was
> with my IIE, and the way it is with my  IIGS.

I can have my Franklin Ace boot DOS 3.3 or PRODOS in the same time.  It's
simply annoying to have to listen to "whirrrrrrr, clack, clack, ..." everytime
I power on, until I press reset and enter "pr#7<return><return>".  I not only
wish they put in a track zero sensor, but a door closed sensor as well!

> It is unfortunate that you are having difficulties, and I am not completely
> sure that the problems were machine based, but for what it's worth,
> good luck.

Thank you! I'm not sure luck is what I need at this point.  I am satisfied if
I have alerted some members of the Apple-family to the way Applied
Engineering sometimes works BEFORE they spent the bucks.

All in all, I am happier with the Ram Factor than I was without it.  All I
really wanted was to boot Ascii Express quickly and make it run faster.  It
now takes 6 seconds to load DOS 3.3 Ascii Express (the PRODOS version is in
the mail, I've been assured), and about 1 second to switch to the line
editor.  Capture buffers saves are instantaneous.  (AEPRO users, don't forget
the "hard disk" option in install!  It eliminates some of the waiting before
disk accesses, while the floppy drive motor is starting up).

Oh yes, a new chapter for PCPI CP/M users.  If you want to know if your PCPI
CP/M is a current enough release to support AE's PCPI RAMdisk software, put
in your CP/M utilities diskette, and start up INSTALL.  If the "APL 16*35
FLPPY" driver line shows up, you will be able to use their software.  If
(like me) that line does not show up, you have to make yet another unexpected
software purchase, a more recent revision of your PCPI CP/M software.

I know it isn't Applied Engineerings fault that my software is old.  I just
wish I had a phone number of PCPI or a recent phone number of Franklin (after
the re-organization) so I could see if such an animal exists, and what it's
going to run me now.  AE's docs say about $40, but I don't take them at their
word anymore.

And before you type "m" and begin that flame, remember... old software only
means I was making use of it before your machine was designed!

Patrick Wolfe

Internet:  pwolfe@kai.com
UUCP:      ...!{uunet,ihnp4}!uiucuxc!kailand!pwolfe

The opinions expressed here are my own, NOT my employers.