[comp.sys.apple] native GS BASIC interpreter

BHUBER@ECLA.USC.EDU.UUCP (09/24/87)

In conversation with APDA, they indicated they are mailing out special
announcement to APDA members regarding a native GS machine BASIC interpreter.
Supposedly it is fast, and based on a robust business BASIC version with
lots of neato capabilities (in other words, not the busted-BASIC on the
other -// machines).  As I recall, he indicated also that it does take
advantage of all available memory and includes tool support as well.

Heads up, Apple GS afficiandos.

Bud

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (10/01/87)

In article <[ECLA.USC.EDU]24-Sep-87.11:52:42.BHUBER>, BHUBER@ECLA.USC.EDU writes:
> In conversation with APDA, they indicated they are mailing out special
> announcement to APDA members regarding a native GS machine BASIC interpreter.
> Supposedly it is fast, and based on a robust business BASIC version with
> lots of neato capabilities (in other words, not the busted-BASIC on the
> other -// machines).  As I recall, he indicated also that it does take
> advantage of all available memory and includes tool support as well.
>
> Heads up, Apple GS afficiandos.
>
> Bud

APDA has GS Basic listed for $50 in a September supplement to their August
catalog.  GS Basic requires 512K, has toolbox access, local variables, print
using, etc. etc.  It is a full implementation of modern Basic.  There are
programs included that give examples of how to program using pull down menus,
and other desktop tools.  As for being fast, don't count on it.  GS Basic is
interpreted, so it is easy to use but slow.  Fortunately, TML has already an-
nounced a GS Basic compiler that DOES run the programs quickly.  It takes your
GS Basic code and compiles it into a stand-alone program that runs much faster.
TML Basic also has a utility to convert Applesoft programs to TML Basic (and
thus GS Basic).  I believe the compiler sels for less than $100.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

rupp@cod.UUCP (William L. Rupp) (10/01/87)

Can anyone tell me how much memory will be required for the new TML
BASIC for the GS which has been announced?  Does it require
the APW?  And is there any ballpark estimate as to when it will be
availabe (beta?  general release?)

Thanks for any information you may be able to pass along.

Bill
I speak for myself, and not on behalf of any other person or organization
.........................How's that, Gary?

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <842@cod.UUCP>, rupp@cod.UUCP (William L. Rupp) writes:
> Can anyone tell me how much memory will be required for the new TML
> BASIC for the GS which has been announced?  Does it require
> the APW?  And is there any ballpark estimate as to when it will be
> availabe (beta?  general release?)
>
> Thanks for any information you may be able to pass along.
>

> Bill
Let me clear up some confusion on this point.  Apple is releasing GS Basic.
GS Basic is an INTERPRETED Basic.  TML is releasing TML Basic, which is comp-
iled.  These are two separate products.  APDA is distributing the Beta version
og GS Basic (The Apple interpreted Basic product) for $50.  The TML Compiler,
which is GS Basic compatible, will sell for around $125, retail.  It doesn't
require APW, the new TML Pascal does not require APW either (both the APW ver-
sion and the stand-alone version will be sold, take your pick).  I don't know
when Apple will release the finished version of GS Basic, probably in about
3 months, if I had to guess.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax