[comp.sys.apple] IIgs ROMS

infoapple@pro-colony.UUCP (Info Apple) (09/29/87)

I have talked to some people that are using the new ROMS that they got from
their dealers and have been having problems.  Yet the people that I talk to
that bought their IIgs's with the new ROMS installed have not had any
problems.  Maybe Apple has had a problem with some of the upgrade chips being
sent out to dealers?

UUCP: [ ihnp4 sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-colony!dale
ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-colony!dale@nosc.mil
INET: pro-colony!dale@pro-sol.cts.com
proline: [ pro-carolina  pro-party  pro-sol ] dale@pro-colony
pro-colony :-> 1 214 370-7056 - 300/1200 - 24 hrs

keith@apple.UUCP (Keith Rollin) (10/06/87)

In article <8709301336.AA14718@crash.CTS.COM> pnet01!pro-sol!pro-colony!infoapple@nosc.MIL writes:

>I have talked to some people that are using the new ROMS that they got from
>their dealers and have been having problems.  Yet the people that I talk to
>that bought their IIgs's with the new ROMS installed have not had any
>problems.  Maybe Apple has had a problem with some of the upgrade chips being
>sent out to dealers?

Not as far as I've heard. However, I do have a theory as to what is happening.
(This is based on my own experience with an upgraded machine, supplemented with
speculation):

1) Apple customer goes out and buys an Apple IIGS in September-July time
   frame. At the same time, s/he buys some software that takes advantage of
   the GS's new features. When the new ROMs come out, their old software
   breaks due to some programming improprieties (true fact!).

2) Developers notice their mistakes, fix their code, and re-release it.

3) New GS buyers buy their new machines (with the new ROMs) and some new
   software (that has been revised), and it works!

Does this jive with anyone's experience?
--

Keith Rollin
Sales Technical Support

Stupid Disclaimer: I read this board for fun, not profit

Stupid Quote: If god had meant man to fly, he would have given him plane tickets

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (10/06/87)

What type of problems?  I have had my upgrade for about 2-3 weeks now and
have had no problems - but then I dont have any software other than
public domain/shareware.  Perhaps the problems folks are having are not with
the roms but the ProDos that they are using?   System Disk 3.2 is supposedly
now available from some dealers - all GS owners should track it down and
use it.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (10/08/87)

Keith,

Welcome to the net!  I've got a question for you.  I use a  IIgs on an Apple-
Talk network with Macs.  Whenever I print to the LaserWriter, if a Mac has
printed first, I have to turn off the LaserWriter and recycle it to print.
Is there a newer version of LaserPrep that can coexist with the Mac?  The
problem does not occur if the Macs are running Pagemaker 2.0 with the Aldus
LaserWriter drivers instead of Apples'.  Any fixes for this?

Thanks!

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax

keith@apple.UUCP (Keith Rollin) (10/09/87)

In article <3997@ecsvax.UUCP> ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) writes:

>Keith,
>
>Welcome to the net!  I've got a question for you.  I use a  IIgs on an Apple-
>Talk network with Macs.  Whenever I print to the LaserWriter, if a Mac has
>printed first, I have to turn off the LaserWriter and recycle it to print.
>Is there a newer version of LaserPrep that can coexist with the Mac?  The
>problem does not occur if the Macs are running Pagemaker 2.0 with the Aldus
>LaserWriter drivers instead of Apples'.  Any fixes for this?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Rick Fincher
>ranger@ecsvax

Not yet. The LaserPrep file that the Apple IIGS is essentially the same as the
3.3 LaserPrep file for the Mac. Therefore, your Macs would have to use the
same version.

This is certainly not the ideal situation that Apple wants to be in. Our
intention is to have the Apple IIGS independant of any Prep file whatsoever.
That way, the Mac can go about and initialize the laserwriter with whatever
version it wants, and it won't affect the GS. However, with all the 3rd party
developers clamoring for printing drivers, we had to give them something. The
fastest thing to do was to leverage off of the Mac LaserPrep.

--

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Sales Technical Support                               pyramid!sun !apple!keith

Disclaimer: I read this board for fun, not profit. Anything I say is from the
            result of reading magazines, hacking, and soaking my head in acid.