[comp.sys.apple] Scully at The Boston Computer Society

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (10/14/87)

Reposted from the Boston/Apple Connection BBS (617) 275-9422
                  (300/1200 Baud, 24 Hrs)
I DOWNLOADED THE FOLLOWING FROM THE CITINET APPLE BOARD:
          With Apple President Scully speaking at the BCS Meeting
          October 13, let's confront him with the Apple's poor
          treatment of Apple II users.  I hope readers will raise the
          following questions:
          - Why has Apple consistently put most of its resources into
          MacIntosh development, marketing and support, and so little
          into the Apple II?
          - Why has Apple been so slow to update Apple's products
          (especially Appleworks) with the advanced features so
          prevalent on IBM word processors, data bases and
          spreadsheets?
          - In transferring software development from Apple to Claris
          will Claris continue the "pro-Mac, no-II" biases?
          - Will Apple continue to artificially overprice products by:
              - dropping dealers who sell at a discount,
              - opposing mail orders,
              - and fighting Apple-clones?
          Why are new products for the Apple II usually introduced
          well after similar Mac products are introduced?
          When can we expect the following types of products for the
          Apple II:
              - good CD ROM drives with massive storage (e.g. 600+
              megabytes)?
              - high resolution digital monitors?
              - Hypercard?
              - 32-bit CPU?
              - 25 hertz speed?
              - Multiprocessing?
              - Mac-like graphic interface faster than the ProDos 16
              snail?
              - local area networks?
              - IBM compatibility/transportability?
              - Mac compatibility/transportabilty?
          - Is the rumor true that Apple is actively preventing
          improvements to the IIGS that would make it more competitive
          in the business world?  Specifically, is it true that Apple
          tried to kill Applied Engineering 6 hz. accelerator chip?
          Is it true that Apple has discouraged developers from
          developing business software that could compete with the
          Mac?
          I am sure other readers have similar questions.  When we've
          tried to address these concerns in the past, Apple referred
          inquiries to local dealers.  The dealers, of course, knew
          nothing!
          Something is severely screwed up with Apple when one can buy
          an IBM clone that is 8 times as fast and has a 40 megabyte
          hard disk, floppy, and monitor for less than the cost of an
          Apple 20 megabyte hard by itself!  Only when users unite,
          and register their complaints with APPLE CUPERTINO
          directly, can we expect to get answers!

--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

gberg@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Greg Berg) (10/15/87)

;=)   patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) wrote:
;=)            "I DOWNLOADED THE FOLLOWING FROM THE CITINET APPLE BOARD:"
;=)   				<deleted stuff>
;=)             			...............
;=)   	  When can we expect the following types of products for the
;=)             Apple II:
;=)                 - 25 hertz speed?
		      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
		      I thought that even the Apple I ran faster than
		      25 hertz (cycles per second)

rupp@cod.UUCP (William L. Rupp) (10/15/87)

Here are some of my reactions the questions Patt Haring would like to
ask John Sculley.....

In article <1644@dasys1.UUCP> patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) writes:

>          - Why has Apple consistently put most of its resources into
>          MacIntosh development, marketing and support, and so little
>          into the Apple II?

Because the Macintosh is Apple's hope for the future.  The Apple II
series, although it made great contributions to microcomputing, is sadly
out of date.  Even the IIGS is not generally up to the level of first
rate micro's (i.e., Compaq DESKPRO 386, PS/2 Model 80, Macintosh II).
It would make no sense to pour large resources into a machine that is
not greatly improved over 1977 technology.  Especially when said machine
continues to sell well.  The same can be said of the Commodore-64, the
computer that refuses to die.

>          - Why has Apple been so slow to update Apple's products
>          (especially Appleworks) with the advanced features so
>          prevalent on IBM word processors, data bases and
>          spreadsheets?

What?  Say that again?  I'd say that the advanced features are found on
Apple Macintosh software.   If there is imitation to be done, it's in
the reverse direction to the one you imply.

>          - Will Apple continue to artificially overprice products by:
>              - dropping dealers who sell at a discount,
>              - opposing mail orders,
>              - and fighting Apple-clones?

Apple made a smart business move when it vowed to fight clones.  Look
what happened to the IBM-PC when the clones got going?  Big
Blue's market share plummeted.  This is not popular with buyers, but it
makes investors happy.  I still can't understand why IBM allowed their
micro to be so easily cloned.

>          Why are new products for the Apple II usually introduced
>          well after similar Mac products are introduced?

Well, you hit the hottest markets first, the warm markets next, and the
cold markets last of all.  The Mac is hot.  The Apple II is cooling.
Cheer up!  At least the Apple II line will receive updates and advanced
features sooner than the Timex-Sinclair will.

>          When can we expect the following types of products for the
>          Apple II:
>              - good CD ROM drives with massive storage (e.g. 600+
>              megabytes)?
>              - high resolution digital monitors?
>              - Hypercard?

Hypercard?  Takes a lot of memory and a hard disk.  This is really only
practical with the GS, I'd say, and eventually it will probably appear
for the GS.

>              - 32-bit CPU?

Are you serious?  The Macintosh is Apple's high end series, not the
Apple II.  There is no reason in favor of, and lots of reasons opposed
to such a development.  Why was the IBM PC-JR such a dog?  IBM did not
want it to compete with the PC.  Same with the Apple II/Macintosh.  John
Sculley would be insane to sanction any move towards making the IIGS an
alternative Mac.  The GS is close enough to a Mac in user interface as
it is.  32-bit computing is in the Mac's ballpark.  Look at the success
General Motors had for years; each product line had a place which did
not interfere with the others.  Chevy -> Pontiac -> Oldsmobile -> Buick
-> Cadillac.  Ever here of the DeSoto?  A car which made money for
Chrysler Corp. for decades.  But when, around 1960, DeSoto got squeezed
between Dodge from below and Chrysler from above, the DeSoto was dropped
in a hurry.

>              - 25 hertz speed?
>              - Multiprocessing?
>              - Mac-like graphic interface faster than the ProDos 16
>              snail?
>              - local area networks?
>              - IBM compatibility/transportability?
>              - Mac compatibility/transportabilty?

Don't hold your breath.  Some of these things may come for the Apple
II GS, but I doubt many.  Again, no one is going to invest big bucks
in a product if there is not a reasonable expectation of a payoff in
the marketplace.  If you want these things, you would do better to buy a
different brand of computer which has already attracted that kind of
support.  You might just as easily ask "When is someone going to develop
state-of-the-art goodies for my 1956 DeSoto?"  Ain't gonna happen!!

>          - Is the rumor true that Apple is actively preventing
>          improvements to the IIGS that would make it more competitive
>          in the business world?  Specifically, is it true that Apple
>          tried to kill Applied Engineering 6 hz. accelerator chip?
>          Is it true that Apple has discouraged developers from
>          developing business software that could compete with the
>          Mac?

I haven't heard this myself.  Depends on what you mean by "actively
preventing."  Do you think Apple has a goon squad that goes around
blowing up developers labs at 2 in the morning?  Apple may or may not be
happy about what developers do, but I don't think they can prevent it.
Anyway, I can't image that they would care.  If somebody wants to
develop a version of EXCEL for the GS, I'm sure Apple would be delighted
because that might sell a few more GS's.  The GS is simply not going to
make inroads into the Mac's territory.  They are pretty much aimed at
different markets.

>          I am sure other readers have similar questions.  When we've
>          tried to address these concerns in the past, Apple referred
>          inquiries to local dealers.  The dealers, of course, knew
>          nothing!
>          Something is severely screwed up with Apple when one can buy
>          an IBM clone that is 8 times as fast and has a 40 megabyte
>          hard disk, floppy, and monitor for less than the cost of an
>          Apple 20 megabyte hard by itself!  Only when users unite,
>          and register their complaints with APPLE CUPERTINO
>          directly, can we expect to get answers!
>
>--
>Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
>Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510
>New York, NY, USA                 MCI Mail: 306-1255;  GEnie: PHaring

Come on, give me a break.  The reason you can get such a good deal on a
clone these days is competition.  Apple has exlcuded competition.

In summary, here is how I see it.  The Apple II line has had its day.  It will
live on, just as the venerable DC-3 has lived on.  But the action has
moved to newer architectures.  You cannot continually update a 10 year
old microcomputer and expect it to be taken seriously.  The GS is not
bad, it's just three or four years too late to really catch on.  That is
a compliment to the original desgin of the Apple II.  As for Apple's
policies, if you do not like a company that has been able to exclude
competiton via proprietary technology, then you are free to buy from
another company that has a different policy.

The point is, this argument is a bit irrelevant in late 1987.  The Apple
II has served long and well, but it is unreasonable to expect Apple to
pour the kind of money necessary to make the improvements you desire.  I
have owned an Apple ][+ since Oct. of '81, so I am not an IBM fan.  I
just see reality as it is.  My ][+ is used virtually never, while my Mac
is used all the time.

That's just the way it is.

I speak for myself, and not on behalf of any other person or organization
.........................How's that, Gary?

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (10/16/87)

If you (or anyone else) read the header on pertinent questions
the Apple User Group wanted to ask Mr. Scully, you would see that
I included ***reposted*** from the Apple/Boston Connection -
one of our users *reposted* those questions from Boston's Citinet
BBS; I included those reposted indicators hoping that an intelligent
person would determine that those were not my personal questions
but rather some general information I thought we could all share.
--

prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) (10/16/87)

In article <1644@dasys1.UUCP> patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) writes:
>          - Why has Apple consistently put most of its resources into
>          MacIntosh development, marketing and support, and so little
>          into the Apple II?

	Several years ago (back when Apple expected the Apple II line
disappear), their resources were put mainly towards their new machine,
the Macintosh.  Recently, Apple has admitted that the Apple II line
will be around for a while and their marketing, etc. has been much
more balanced.  Considering the higher profits they receive from Mac
products, you can hardly blame them.

>          - Why has Apple been so slow to update Apple's products
>          (especially Appleworks) with the advanced features so
>          prevalent on IBM word processors, data bases and
>          spreadsheets?

	Apple is not in the application software business.  They make
hardware and the system software to support it.  The only reason they
dabble in the application software business is to promote their
hardware.

>          - Will Apple continue to artificially overprice products by:
>              - dropping dealers who sell at a discount,
>              - opposing mail orders,

	One of Apple's largest concerns is dealer support.  Discount
computer dealers generally don't provide any support.  Ditto for the
mail order houses.

>              - and fighting Apple-clones?

	If somebody was selling an exact copy of something you made,
wouldn't you be a little angry too?  Apple is just protecting it's
legal rights.

>          Why are new products for the Apple II usually introduced
>          well after similar Mac products are introduced?

	The Apple II line is aimed at the education and home markets
so they need to keep prices down.  State of the art technology is
too expensive for the market the are catering to.  Once the technology
is proven and costs have come down, it has a better profit potential
for the lower end of the market.

>          When can we expect the following types of products for the
>          Apple II:
>              - good CD ROM drives with massive storage (e.g. 600+
>              megabytes)?
>              - high resolution digital monitors?
>              - Hypercard?
>              - 32-bit CPU?
>              - 25 hertz speed?
>              - Multiprocessing?
>              - Mac-like graphic interface faster than the ProDos 16
>              snail?
>              - local area networks?
>              - IBM compatibility/transportability?
>              - Mac compatibility/transportabilty?

	Who ever wrote this just wants a 25 Mhz Mac II for one tenth
the price.

>          - Is the rumor true that Apple is actively preventing
>          improvements to the IIGS that would make it more competitive
>          in the business world?  Specifically, is it true that Apple
>          tried to kill Applied Engineering 6 hz. accelerator chip?
>          Is it true that Apple has discouraged developers from
>          developing business software that could compete with the
>          Mac?

	Just like it says, rumors.

>          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>          I am sure other readers have similar questions.  When we've
>          tried to address these concerns in the past, Apple referred
>          inquiries to local dealers.  The dealers, of course, knew
>          nothing!
>          Something is severely screwed up with Apple when one can buy
>          an IBM clone that is 8 times as fast and has a 40 megabyte
>          hard disk, floppy, and monitor for less than the cost of an
>          Apple 20 megabyte hard by itself!  Only when users unite,
>          and register their complaints with APPLE CUPERTINO
>          directly, can we expect to get answers!

	If you don't like it, then why don't you buy an IBM?  Can you
imagine what IBM would say if you went to them with similar concerns?

-Paul R. Wenker		ihnp4!meccts!prw
-MECC