[comp.sys.apple] System Disk 3.1 Applications

DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET (10/12/87)

I had heard, when I got the new system disk, that it would work like the Mac
Finder in the respect that by clicking on, say, a MultiScribe document, it
would automatically run MultiScribe and open that document.  However, when
I try this, it says "An application cannot be found for this document."  I
am using version 1 of MultiScribe.  Is this the problem, or is there something
I don't know that I need to do to make this work?  (I think maybe a small
manual would have been nice with the new disk).

Bill Dickson

keith@apple.UUCP (Keith Rollin) (10/17/87)

In article <8710121109.aa19148@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET writes:
>I had heard, when I got the new system disk, that it would work like the Mac
>Finder in the respect that by clicking on, say, a MultiScribe document, it
>would automatically run MultiScribe and open that document.  However, when
>I try this, it says "An application cannot be found for this document."  I
>am using version 1 of MultiScribe.  Is this the problem, or is there something
>I don't know that I need to do to make this work?  (I think maybe a small
>manual would have been nice with the new disk).
>
>Bill Dickson

This will work to a limited extent. There is really no way for the Finder to
know what documents were created with what application. If you double click
on a TXT file, it could have been created with any number of applications;
which one do you choose?

You may ask, "Well, the Macintosh can do it. Now that the GS has a Macintosh
interface, why can't I launch a document on the GS like on the Mac?"

Unfortunately, we could ony go so far. The Macintosh maintains a series of
links between an application and its documents. Because of the nature of
ProDOS, we could not extend this nicety to the GS Finder.

The GS Finder _will_ do an implicit launch in some cases, though. For instance,
if you double click on an AppleSoft program, BASIC.SYSTEM will be loaded, and
your program will be run. If you double-click on an AppleWorks document, the
Finder will attempt to find AppleWorks and run it (it will not automatically
load your document, though). Applications can be run in these 2 cases because
AppleSoft and AppleWorks files are saved  with very specific file types
attached to them; it is very clear to the Finder when you click on one of
those files.

I hope this clears things up.

--

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Sales Technical Support                               pyramid!sun !apple!keith

Disclaimer: I read this board for fun, not profit. Anything I say is from the
            result of reading magazines, hacking, and soaking my head in acid.

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (10/17/87)

Multiscribe and other progrograms won't run when their data files are double-
clicked because Apple released the finder too late for the vendors to include
feature.  Apple is also trying to standardize the filetype numbers so that
each program has a different number.  This prevents, say, WordPerfect runing
when you double click on a Multiscribe document.  There is an icon editor
available now too, so that applications and data files can have custom icons.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax