[comp.sys.apple] PAY ATTENTION THIS TIME!!!!

CC004019@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) (10/14/87)

You people are getting me in big trouble.  STOP SENDING FILES TO APPLE2-L!!!
I have said this many many times already and you people just don't stop, do
you?  Nor do you ever listen when we say to send subscription and other
requests to LISTSERV@BROWNVM and NOT APPLE2-L@BROWNVM.  Can't you people
read?????  I don't particularly like getting hate mail from postmasters!

Chris

P.S.  Of course this only refers to some people and you know who you are.

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (10/18/87)

In article <8710142054.aa15933@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, CC004019@BROWNVM.BITNET (Christopher Chung) writes:
> You people are getting me in big trouble.  STOP SENDING FILES TO APPLE2-L!!!
> I have said this many many times already and you people just don't stop, do
> you?  Nor do you ever listen when we say to send subscription and other
> requests to LISTSERV@BROWNVM and NOT APPLE2-L@BROWNVM......
Chris,
Seriously now, you really can't imagine that *any* of use would
every want to get you in trouble with the net police!  I've received
conflicting information that tells me, specifically to SEND FILES
to APPLE2L@BROWNVM.BITNET rather than to LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BITNET -
your message, recently said the opposite: DO NOT SEND FILES TO
APPLE2-L.
   I, myself, was under the impression that if I sent the files to
LISTSERV that I would be posting into a void, however, if the files
were sent to APPLE2-L@BROWNVM.BITNET then they would be included in
LISTSERV.
   Please enlighten me, and everyone else on the net as to how we
should do this.  I know this gets tiring but please appreciate that
we have some new Apple users here on the *net* and they don't know
the little itty bitty stuff that gets left out of what to do when
people as experienced as you and Murphy write instructions.
   Here's a sampling of what I got as instructions - PLEEZE, correct
them if they're wrong:
The Kermit 3.78 files (including a driver for the IIgs smartport)
were posted to APPLE2-L awhile back.  I don't have a IIgs, but as
far as I know the driver works (I believe several contributors to
info-apple actually use it).

You can get the files from the LISTSERV@BROWNVM by using the SEND
command (I don't use a VAX either, so I'm not a good source for
the syntax of the send command).  You want to send an immediate
message (CMD) to LISTSERV@BROWNVM that says:

GET NOTEBOOK FILELIST

That'll get you a listing of the files available from that server.
Look for the files that are APPLE2-L 87-nnnnn for the ones labeled
Kermit 3.78 (there are 6 or seven of them including drivers for
Super Serial Cards, Microtek 622C, and Apple Com Card, plus documenation
and installation instructions).  You can get the ones you need with:

GET APPLE2-L 87-nnnnn  (where nnnnn is the number of the file, as in
    APPLE2-L 87-00024)

If your system doesn't permit the use of the SEND command to the network,
you can put the GET commands in email and send it to LISTSERV@BROWNVM

(NOTE!!! DO NOT send GET requests to APPLE2-L as messages addressed to
 the list simply get posted as files and you won't get anything back)

If you can "character capture" files, you can get Kermit version 3.79
for the Apple II from the LISTSERV@BROWNVM.bitnet.  If you have access
to BITNET you can use the "TELL" (CMS) or "SEND" (VMS) commands.

Otherwise, send mail to LISTSERV@BROWNVM.bitnet (may be:
LISTSERV%BROWNVM.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu) with the message (body of
the letter)

INDEX APPLE2-L

You should get a file back listing all the programs that have been
posted to the list (Kermit among them).  To get the Kermit files, send
mail with the commands:

GET APPLE2-L 87-nnnnn
GET APPLE2-L 87-xxxxx
etc.  (where nnnnn and xxxxx etc are the numbers of the files you
want).

Kermit 3.79's main program uses the serial card drivers from Kermit
3.78.

The only way I know how to get the list of files is when using Bitnet:

On Vax computer:

SEND LISTSERV@BROWNVM INDEX APPLE2-L

On IBM:

TELL LISTSERV AT BROWNVM INDEX APPLE2-L

Once you have received the list (usually within the next day), to get a
file just use this command (substituting the file number 00xxx):

SEND LISTSERV@BROWNVM.bitnet GET APPLE2-L 87-00xxx

Be sure you use BROWNVM.bitnet in all commands I left it out in the
first two commands above.

That should do it!
       Here are two pertinent questions to this quagmire:
(1)  Where do the files get sent (programs for subscribers) to:
     APPLE2-L@BROWNVM.BITNET or LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BITNET?
(2)  Doesn't everyone think it's time to relieve the *net*
     of all this squabbling but instituting a comp.binaries.apple2
     newsgroup?
--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510