[comp.sys.apple] Apple Warranties

cs162fed@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Grobbins) (10/13/87)

In article <467@auscso.UUCP> mentat@auscso.UUCP (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>Speaking of 90-day warranties, how's THAT for manufacturer confidence in its
>products?  "Apple Computer: we have the same warranties for our products as
>the most minor Taiwanese junk electronics manufacturer." :-)

Nothing to smile over there.  New cars are often sold at smaller
margins than Macs, and rattles in cars are fixed free for a year.
If your Mac dies after 100 days, you're out of luck (or at least out
of several hundred more dollars.)

How about if all of us who have had our equipment die prematurely
(though just not prematurely enough) send a friendly little note to
John Sculley explaining that, if we're going to pay a premium for
buying un-cloned equipment from a cash-rich company, we expect
a reasonable assurance that we're buying hardware we can rely on.

Think it's worthwhile?  Would it accomplish anything?

Grobbins         cs162fed@sdcc18.ucsd.edu
                 ..sdcsvax!sdcc18!cs162fed

psych@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) (10/15/87)

In Canada the Apple warranty is 90 days but we also get 9 months of AppleCare
after that period for free. The effective warranty is therefore 1 year. I
don't mind paying a little more for the extra service.

Richard Crispin
Dept. of Psychology
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ont.
Canada    N2L 3G1
(519)885-1211 ext 2879

mentat@auscso.UUCP (Robert Dorsett) (10/17/87)

In article <3959@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> psych@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) writes:
>In Canada the Apple warranty is 90 days but we also get 9 months of AppleCare
>after that period for free. The effective warranty is therefore 1 year. I
>don't mind paying a little more for the extra service.

I do.  I think AppleCare's a rip-off.  It's expensive, and over a period of
time will inevitably cost more than any conceivable hardware failure, short
of dropping the machine off the roof of a building.  If a computer's going
to break, it'll probably break within the first 90 days.  I try to run the
suckers into the ground during that period, keeping them on most of the time,
etc...:-)  I'd be much more inclined to keep the money I'd otherwise pay for
Applecare in the bank.

Anyone care to estimate how much money Apple makes from Applecare?

--
Robert Dorsett                  {allegra,seismo}!sally!ut-ngp!walt!mentat
University of Texas at Austin	{allegra, seismo}!sally!ut-ngp!auscso!mentat

bc@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (bill coderre) (10/17/87)

> (Request for estimates of profits omitted)

Jeez. We're talkin' a service here, not a bought good. AppleCare is
the "no-brain" solution. Any problem, just send the machine in and you
get it or another working, quick.

When I was at a newspaper, we paid a LOT of money for 4 hour downtime
service. The technicians kept about a spare terminal and half a
computer in the closet there. It was worth it, since if we missed one
day's publication, we'd be out of business.

For some people, this is a vital service, and worth the bucks. To the
Joe who'd rather fix it himself, it's an utter waste. Nobody's forcing
you to buy it.

Seems like everybody is begrudging Apple for making money. Why?.......bc

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (10/21/87)

Well, I don't know, but last I remember the price of a Mac logic board
was $125, and Applecare was only $90.  And since a lot of mac Logcs and
Powers died in a year, not 90 days, it was worth it.  But since the //'s
are built a *little* bit more reliably, (mostly simplicity-wise.  Now
real screen stuff, etc) it might be about 20 years before you have a
problem that costs more than $90. . .

Sean kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET