[comp.sys.apple] Theology software for Apple

binder@fizbin.DEC.COM ("Ask for *all* the formats. That'll scare 'em.") (10/15/87)

From:	DECWRL::"gwyn@smoke.brl.MIL" "Doug Gwyn  10-Oct-87 0430 GMT" 14-OCT-1987 15:31

>> Does anyone know of software that would permit a minister/priest or
>> whatever to search scripture for occurences of a given word?

> You may be in luck -- I recall seeing advertisements for such a product
> for Apple IIs, called "The Word" if I remember correctly, in various
> Apple magazines such as A+.  You may have to look back a year or three
> in the archives; I don't remember exactly when I last saw the ad.

Confirmed.  The product is called "The Word" and I have seen it advertised
in A+ as recently as two months ago.  (Haven't looked this month.)  It does
concordance-type searches across the several disks needed to store the
entire Bible.  it also allows the user to print out selected passages, so
it isn't necessary to go digging in a hardcopy Bible after finding the
one(s) desired.  There may be other functions - these are the only ones I
remember reading about.

In terms of study value, the fact that "The Word" is King James Version
only, isn't so good; but most Protestant clergy are familiar with the KJV
and have access to a Strong's Concordance, so the product would certainly
be useful to some degree.  For a priest, I dunno.

Cheers,
Dick Binder   (The Stainless Steel Rat)

DEC Enet:	FIZBIN::BINDER
UUCP:		{ decvax, allegra, ucbvax... }!decwrl!fizbin.dec.com!binder
ARPA:		binder%fizbin.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (10/18/87)

In article <8710141947.AA02185@decwrl.dec.com>, binder@fizbin.DEC.COM ("Ask for *all* the formats. That'll scare 'em.") writes:
> From:	DECWRL::"gwyn@smoke.brl.MIL" "Doug Gwyn  10-Oct-87 0430 GMT" 14-OCT-1987 15:31
>
> >> Does anyone know of software that would permit a minister/priest or
> >> whatever to search scripture for occurences of a given word?

In FAMILY COMPUTING, October 1987, p.103, there's an ad for
NEW DIMENSIONS IN BIBLE STUDY - and here's what it says:
"We're celebrating over 5 years of market leadership! Version
4.0 of THE WORD processor includes the complete text of the KJV
or NIV Bible for just #199.95. Our software searches for any
word or text string. You can even create indexes on
concepts and build your own library of research material.

Our new INSTANT ACCESS add-on product for just $49.95 finds
any word instantly! And our family of products is still
growing with topical cross references and personal
commentary to annotate your Bible, and Greek and Hebrew
transliterators which include Strong's Concordance.
Bible Research Systems (512) 251-7541
2013 Wells Branch Parkway, #304, Austin, TX 78728
--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (10/20/87)

In article <8710141947.AA02185@decwrl.dec.com>, binder@fizbin.DEC.COM writes:
> From:	DECWRL::"gwyn@smoke.brl.MIL" "Doug Gwyn
>
> >> Does anyone know of software that would permit a minister/priest or
> >> whatever to search scripture for occurences of a given word?
>
> Confirmed.  The product is called "The Word" and I have seen it advertised
> in A+ as recently as two months ago.  (Haven't looked this month.)  It does
>
> In terms of study value, the fact that "The Word" is King James Version
> only, isn't so good; but most Protestant clergy are familiar with the KJV
> and have access to a Strong's Concordance, so the product would certainly
> be useful to some degree.  For a priest, I dunno.

Please note that "The Word" is available in either KJV or NIV.  I like
the latter better for study purposes, the former for poetry.

	seh

scott@geowhiz.UUCP (Scott Kempf) (10/21/87)

In article <1697@dasys1.UUCP> patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) writes:
>In FAMILY COMPUTING, October 1987, p.103, there's an ad for
>NEW DIMENSIONS IN BIBLE STUDY - and here's what it says:
>
>Our new INSTANT ACCESS add-on product for just $49.95 finds
>any word instantly! And our family of products is still

          Instantly!  Amazing, I just might buy this.  It would really be
     a miracle if it could find any word instantly.  Imagine the implications:
     They could use the same methods to make 0ns RAMs.

	Sorry for the flame, I just don't like false advertizing.  The product
     may be excelent.  And if it is, there is no reason to exagerate.

>Bible Research Systems (512) 251-7541
>2013 Wells Branch Parkway, #304, Austin, TX 78728

Scott Kempf                          Mother do you think they'll drop The Bomb?
MAIL:   1302 Rutledge St., Madison, WI  53703    PHONE:  (608) 255-6205  (home)
UUCP:   {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4}!uwvax!geowhiz!scott
ARPA:   geowhiz!scott@spool.wisc.edu             PHONE:  (608) 262-6154  (work)
BITNET: scott%geowhiz.uucp%spool.wisc.edu@wiscvm.bitnet