[comp.sys.apple] APW linker problem

arenberg@trwrb.UUCP (Jeff Arenberg) (10/19/87)

I've been having a problem with the linker on APW that's been really
bothersome.  I have a GS with the old ROMS and 1.25 Meg with Apple's
board.  APW claims that is only needs 768K, so I set my ramdisk at 512K and
copy the assembler, linker and source code onto it.  If I give the
command to assemble and link, the assembler works fine and starts the
linker.  After a number of '....'s from the linker, I get 'Terminal Error:
out of memory'.  I check the manual which had the not so comforting claim
that 'This error should never happen'.  Great!!  It goes on to say that if
it does happen, then the problem is either a bug in the linker or a
problem with the memory manager.  If I turn down the size of the ramdisk
to 384K, the problem goes away.  This is really frustating as 384K is not
enough to also have the C compiler on the ramdisk.  Does anyone have any
ideas about this?  Will the new ROM fix the problem?  Thanks,

Jeff Arenberg
UUCP : ( ucbvax, ihnp4, uscvax ) !trwrb!trwcsed!arenberg
ARPA : jarenberg@ecla.usc.edu

prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) (10/21/87)

In article <755@trwcsed.trwrb.UUCP> arenberg@trwcsed.UUCP (Jeff Arenberg) writes:

>I've been having a problem with the linker on APW that's been really
>bothersome.  I have a GS with the old ROMS and 1.25 Meg with Apple's
>board.  APW claims that is only needs 768K, so I set my ramdisk at 512K and
>copy the assembler, linker and source code onto it.  If I give the
>command to assemble and link, the assembler works fine and starts the
>linker.  After a number of '....'s from the linker, I get 'Terminal Error:
>out of memory'...

It lies.  I wouldn't recommend running the linker with less than a
megabyte of memory.  This was originally called a bug, but has yet to
be fixed.  The new ROM's won't help you either.

-Paul R. Wenker
-MECC, Technical Services