[comp.sys.apple] DBASE III+ for Apples?

charlie@hpldola.HP.COM (Charlie Duke) (09/10/87)

   Does anyone know of the availiblity of DBASE III+ or a reasonable
clone that runs on Apples, preferably the II+ variety on up.  In
particular, I need the relational aspect of DBASE III+, or, at an
absolute minimum, at least be able to keep two database files (different
schemas) open with indexes at the same time.  Thanks in advance.

cy@ashtate.UUCP (Cy Shuster) (10/04/87)

In article <11810001@hpldola.HP.COM> charlie@hpldola.HP.COM (Charlie Duke) writes:

>   Does anyone know of the availiblity of DBASE III+ or a reasonable
>clone that runs on Apples, preferably the II+ variety on up.  In
>particular, I need the relational aspect of DBASE III+, or, at an
>absolute minimum, at least be able to keep two database files (different
>schemas) open with indexes at the same time.  Thanks in advance.

dBASE Mac is now shipping. The Mac Plus, SE, and II are supported; not the
Apple II. For more info, call (213) 329-8000.

--Cy Shuster--     UUCP:   ...seismo!scgvaxd!ashtate!cy
        (I don't think I have to disclaim this!)

eww@oberon.LCS.MIT.EDU (Wes Williams) (10/14/87)

I just got off the phone with a tech rep from Applied Engineering. He
was explaining the operation of the 'Lil Blue card from AE. I was
surprised to find out that the following things are possible with
a ][e :

1:The Apple 5.25 drives can be used to read (read only) IBM formatted
disks and access data or programs for the AE card.

2:The Sider hard drive when formatted to ProDos can store IBM data and
programs for access under operation of the AE card

3:Clock speed of the card is 8.sompthingsompthing HZ and users should
see little differences in program operation time

4:IBM type drive (price from AE) to enable read / write to IBM disks is
in the high 200 $ range. (I neglected to ask if it was 360K or 1.2 MEG)

___________________________

As a long term Apple user (][e) I reflected on my original purchase some
time ago when I saw that one could push and pull cards. I said, "Wow,
that machine will be able to stick around awhile!" and then bought it.

I am interested in opinions of users of MS DOS systems on a ][e. I have
beeworking with Lotus 123, Dbase + and Xywrite at work and would love to
continue with these at home on the Apple. None of my cpu friends are doing
this presently. As the subject seems pertinent to the group I suggest answers
to the Net.
 Thanks-----> eww@oberon.lcs.mit.edu.arpa

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (10/22/87)

Data Base Master from Stone Edge Technologies is shipping for the Apple II.
The advanced version will supposedly have true relational capability.  If so
you will be able to transfer data from DBase and read it in.  Then you can
massage it with the Apple II.

Rick Fincher
ranger@ecsvax