[comp.sys.apple] Help needed with HR Graphics

delaney@wnre.aecl.CDN (Grant Delaney) (10/19/87)

Date: 17 Oct 87 14:47 -0600
From: Kevin Parker <C465148@UMCVMB.BITNET>
Sender: Apple II List <APPLE2-L@BROWNVM.BITNET>
To: Allan Foster <afoster@oregon-grad.csnet>, Kopper Dave <Dave_Kopper@tzone.ceo.dg.com>, CDNnet redistribution <INFO-APPLE2-L@UBC.CSNET>, Robert Dexter <robertd@tekigm2.tek.com>
Subject: High-resolution graphics

     I'm writing a game for the Apple IIe, but I haven't been able to
find any information on using high-resolution graphics from machine
language (other than how to plot individual pixels).  Does anyone know
of any books, magazine articles, or other sources of information on
high-resolution animation?  Any input on techniques of high-resolution
animation would also be greatly apprieciated.

                                       Kevin Parker
                                       <C465148@UMCVMB>

saponara@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (John Saponara) (10/19/87)

In article <551*delaney@wnre.aecl.cdn> delaney@wnre.aecl.CDN writes:
>Subject: High-resolution graphics
>
>     I'm writing a game for the Apple IIe, but I haven't been able to
>find any information on using high-resolution graphics from machine
>language (other than how to plot individual pixels).  Does anyone know
>of any books, magazine articles, or other sources of information on
>high-resolution animation?

Well, I tried finding the darn book, but it's presently lost on my shelves.
Its title is something like "Designing Arcade Level Graphics on the Apple II"
and the author is Jeffrey Stanton or Jeffrey Staunton (the author's name is
a better clue than the title).  It has a sorta cheesey cover of a woman playing
a video game.  It's by far the best book I've seen on assembly level graphics--
takes up where all those other Apple graphics books leave off (i.e. somewhere
around shape tables).  Hopefully someone else can post the correct title
description & author - otherwise, hit the "Authors" section of "Books in Print"
in your bookstore and start searching.

Eric Haines

mw22+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Michael Alan Wertheim) (10/20/87)

If you want to stick with standard 280x192 hi-res --

Roger Wagner's column in Softalk dealt with a bunch of fast machine language
routines for plotting points, lines, and drawing rectangular block "shapes"
in hi-res.  Old Softalks are hard to find, however.  (And there are two
magazines named Softalk -- one for Apples, one for IBM PC's.)

Nibble Magazine's book "Nibble Secrets" and Gary Little's books "Inside the
Apple IIe" and "Inside the Apple IIc" both tell how to use Applesoft's hi-res
routines from machine language.  You can do hgr, hplot x,y; hplot to x,y;
hplot x,y to x,y; hcolor = c, and all shape table commands.  They are all
pretty slow, but they're very easy to use.

If you are interested in doing double hi-res, Nibble magazine has published
some utilities that allow you to plot points, lines, characters, etc. from
Applesoft.  These would be fairly easy to use from machine language.

Michael Wertheim
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

Arpa: mw22@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet: mw22@cmuccvma
UUCP: ...!{seismo, ucbvax, harvard}!andrew.cmu.edu!mw22#

jenkins@arthur.cs.purdue.edu (Colin Jenkins) (10/23/87)

in article <2672@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, saponara@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (John Saponara) says:
<>
<
< Its title is something like "Designing Arcade Level Graphics on the Apple II"
< and the author is Jeffrey Stanton or Jeffrey Staunton (the author's name is
< Eric Haines

Let me add my voice of support, it is indeed an excellent book.  I
think the author's name is Stanton.

								Colin