[comp.sys.apple] Setting prefix

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (10/15/87)

Rats, I should have debugged my previous code...

>10 PRINT CHR$(4);"SET PREFIX <path>"
>                   ^^^
>?SYNTAX ERROR
>STOPPED AT 10
>
>Just prefix will do it.  ;-)

Guess my programming skill just isn't BASic enough any more,
and if truth be known, I'm inclined to be Pro-DOS 3.3 (still
haven't found a ProDOS word processor that makes files our
mainframe can digest - does anyone know of a ProDOS word
processor that stores by lines <carriage return at end of
line> the way PIE Writer <DOS 3.3 only, alas> does????).

I HATE WYSIWYG's!!!!!!

---------------------
ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (10/18/87)

In article <8710150828.aa22617@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:
> Guess my programming skill just isn't BASic enough any more,
> and if truth be known, I'm inclined to be Pro-DOS 3.3 (still
> haven't found a ProDOS word processor that makes files our
> mainframe can digest - does anyone know of a ProDOS word
> processor that stores by lines <carriage return at end of
> line> the way PIE Writer <DOS 3.3 only, alas> does????).
Hmmm - Murphy, try this:
hen    If you're using AppleWorks to create files to upload to a BBS you
know that AppleWorks has a funny habit of inserting 10 blank lines
when you save that file to disk using the ASCII File to Disk option.
Instead, when preparing a file to upload to a BBS, don't use the "ASCII
File to Disk" option in AppleWorks.  It won't insert CRs at the end of each
line!
Instead,  create a CUSTOM PRINTER, using the Apple Silentype as a
basis, changing the PW to 8.0" and "Needs Top of Form" commands to "NO".
Set the destination to DISK.  [I've named my "Custom Printer" = DISK
so I can save TEXT files and PROGRAMS as TEXT files].
Then, when writing your messages in AppleWorks, set the format
parameters as follows:
   PW = 8.0   LM = 0  RM = .1 <or GREATER...cannot be 0>
   PL = 0.1   TM = 0  BM = 0
   CI = 10

Of course, you would use this "printer" and format to print the file
to DISK.  That will get you in a format that a BBS can handle.
Setting the page length to 0.1 and the bottom margin to 0 will
eliminate those annoying 10 blank lines that AppleWorks usually
inserts in files if you use the ASCII file to disk option.

--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

mackay@dalcsug.UUCP (Daniel MacKay) (10/19/87)

To: SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET
Subject: Re: Setting prefix
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple
Bcc:

AppleWriter (my favorite editor) doesn't STORE files with a CR at the
end of every line but
a) it's got a little comm package built in and you can PRINT the document
   (complete with CRs) out the modem port at whatever baud and
b) you can print the document, complete with or without formatting, but with
   CRs at the end of each line, to a new (or the same, I suppose) text file
   on disk and send that with your favorite comm package.

I have found it to be about the handiest editor, complete with a
programming language, that I've ever found (next to Emacs).  It runs
great in ProDOS and comes with a meta-like glossary- any string you can
type on the keyboard (including commands to the editor and meta commands!)
can be invokable with one character plus open-apple... i.e. open-apple-d
MIGHT JUST do...
+---------+
+---------+

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (10/21/87)

In article <8710150828.aa22617@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:
>Rats, I should have debugged my previous code...

What?  Debug your *own* code?  What for??? :-)

>Guess my programming skill just isn't BASic enough any more,
>and if truth be known, I'm inclined to be Pro-DOS 3.3 (still
>haven't found a ProDOS word processor that makes files our
>mainframe can digest - does anyone know of a ProDOS word
>processor that stores by lines <carriage return at end of
>line> the way PIE Writer <DOS 3.3 only, alas> does????).

I still use ApplwWriter 1.0 (//e version, DOS 3.3) but the ProDos
version is not much different, and it too allows print to disk, just set
the "slot" to 8.  Much much nicer.

>I HATE WYSIWYG's!!!!!!

Me too.  They take to long to look right.

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET

jmp@cisunx.UUCP (pearsall jon m) (10/26/87)

In article <8710150828.aa22617@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:

>                   ......does anyone know of a ProDOS word
>processor that stores by lines <carriage return at end of
>line> the way PIE Writer <DOS 3.3 only, alas> does????).

>ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
>BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
>UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut

	How about good old Appleworks.  Just use the print to disk option
when at the printer selection menu.  Appleworks will then create a text file
on disk (it will ask you for the pathname you desire) by printing your text
lines to the disk instead of the printer.  You can then upload the text file
to your mainframe using Kermit or whatever else you might usually use.