[comp.sys.apple] fonts for ][e?

neubauer@bsu-cs.UUCP (Paul Neubauer) (10/08/87)

I am posting this message for a friend of a friend.  I know next to nothing
about apple systems, myself, but my friend's friend is trying to write some
educational software that requires displaying data on the screen of an Apple
][e using the ipa (international phonetic alphabet).

The question is:  Can he do this, and if so, how?

I am aware that different typefaces are available for the Mac, and that it
is not excessively difficult to more or less plug them in and just use
them.  Is anything comparable available for the ][e?  Is there any way to
use multiple character sets on the screen, or would this have to be done
with bit-mapped graphic techniques?  Has anyone out there in netland had any
experience with anything remotely comparable such as displaying Russian
characters on the screen or the like?  Does anyone know of any commercial
packages if PD is not available?  If alternate character sets are available,
can they simply be loaded and used, or would he have to incorporate the
characters into his source code?  (I don't even know what language he
intends to write his program in.)

Even if you consider answers to these questions to be of sufficient general
interest to be worth posting to the net, I would greatly appreciate getting
any answers by email, since I do not normally read this group.  I thank you
and my friend's friend thanks you.

--
Paul Neubauer         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!neubauer

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (10/13/87)

In article <1241@bsu-cs.UUCP>, neubauer@bsu-cs.UUCP (Paul Neubauer) writes:
> I am posting this message for a friend of a friend.  I know next to nothing
> about apple systems, myself, but my friend's friend is trying to write some
> educational software that requires displaying data on the screen of an Apple
> ][e using the ipa (international phonetic alphabet).

International Computer Productrs at 346 N. Western Ave., Los Angeles,
CA 90004 (213) 462-8381 might be able to help your friend with questions
about IPA. This company recently enhanced two of its products.
[Edited from "Random Access, Sept. 1987] "Learn Spanish and Learn German
... after a user enters a sentence in English, the computer acts as
an interpreter and displays the translation within seconds.....The
programs also employ artificial intelligence to ensure that grammar,
gender, conjugation and the composition of words within the translated
sentences are correcft.  After studying the translation, users also
now have the option of saving each sentence by creating a text file.
Later on, they can recall this file and edit it with any word
processor to compose a letter or similar type of transcript in
Spanish or German.  Both programs contain a resident vocabulary
allowing users to create over 80,000 possible phrase compositions."

I don't know what other language programs this company has available
but this article was very interesting.
--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

douglas@reed.UUCP (P Douglas Reeder) (10/27/87)

It would not be easy to display normal phonetic characters on the Apple
screen, but there is no need, as ARPA has developed Arpabet, a way to
represent the Intenational Phonetic Alphabet using only one or two ordinary
upper case letters.  This system is used for the Macintalk speech synthesizer.
If you absolutly must use ordinary phonetic letters, one way to display them
on the screen is to use the GraForth programming system by Paul Lutus, which
uses a character set that easily be changed to whatever you want.  Many
printers, including the Imagewriter II, will accept a downloaded font which
can then be used to print out phonetic spelling.
--
                 -Doug Reeder,  Reed College
         	  My employer takes full responsibility for all my actions.

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (10/27/87)

In article <7558@reed.UUCP> douglas@reed.UUCP (P Douglas Reeder) writes:
>If you absolutly must use ordinary phonetic letters, one way to display them
>on the screen is to use the GraForth programming system by Paul Lutus, which
>uses a character set that easily be changed to whatever you want.  Many
>printers, including the Imagewriter II, will accept a downloaded font which
>can then be used to print out phonetic spelling.
>--
>                 -Doug Reeder,  Reed College
>         	  My employer takes full responsibility for all my actions.

If you need to see the phonetic symbols the way they are ment to be seen
, you must use the graphics page. There are several ways to do this, and
probably the easiest is with shape tables.  Also, the old HRCG was
pretty nice, though slow.  And I have seen in Nibble some 80 column
graphics text that I guess should be easy to use (Hay, it comes from
Nibble, right?)  In anycase, there are now a ton of maclike
wordprocessors for the //e\//c, and most allow custom fonts.

As for downloading fonts to the imagewriter, well, I just got a beta
version of PowerPrint from Beagle Bros. A beta version, you ask?  Well,
It's a beta test for the C.Itoh Prowriter. In anycase, it looks like a
very nice program, and it supports a _lot_ of printers. The only thing
is, it has mac-like windows etc, but no mouse support. . . I think I
would have prefered no windows, but then. . .

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET