[comp.sys.apple] INIT disk on apple ][+

sreiss@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Steve Reiss) (10/25/87)

I need some help.  I just got hold of an Apple ][+ and am having trouble
doing a disk initialization.  I type INIT HELLO and i get the disk to start
it's noises, only to get I/O ERROR printed on my display.  I can SAVE files
to disks that have already been initialized, so my disk is able to correctly
write files.

If anybody has any ideas on what is causing the problem and how to fix it,
I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
Steve Reiss

internet: sreiss@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!sreiss%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
Address:  Teknowledge Inc, 1850 Embarcadero Rd, POB 10119, Palo Alto, CA 94303
Phone:    415-424-0500 work  415-591-6192  home

--

schumann@puff.wisc.edu (Christopher Schumann) (10/26/87)

In article <18249@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, (Steve Reiss) writes:
> I need some help.  I just got hold of an Apple ][+ and am having trouble
> doing a disk initialization.  I type INIT HELLO and i get the disk to start
> it's noises, only to get I/O ERROR printed on my display.  I can SAVE files
> to disks that have already been initialized, so my disk is able to correctly
> write files.
> Steve Reiss
> internet: sreiss@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
> usenet:   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!sreiss%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
> Address:  Teknowledge Inc, 1850 Embarcadero Rd, POB 10119, Palo Alto, CA 94303

This sounds very familiar.

I would bet that your drive speed is off.  This is very easy to fix.
Open the case of the drive and look for a VERY small screw in a box about
an inch long.

Use a program like Locksmith to tell you what speed your drive is at
(use optimized, copies go faster that way).

Turn the screw. It can turn about 10 revolutions from center each
direction.

If you don't like mucking around in your drives, take it to a dealer.
This will be free or very cheap

Chris Schumann					schumann@puff.wisc.edu

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (10/27/87)

<Meet the DISK ][, the *original* headbanger!>

In article <1130@puff.wisc.edu> schumann@puff.wisc.edu (Christopher Schumann) writes:
>In article <18249@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, (Steve Reiss) writes:
>> I need some help.  I just got hold of an Apple ][+ and am having trouble
>> doing a disk initialization.  I type INIT HELLO and i get the disk to start
>> it's noises, only to get I/O ERROR printed on my display.  I can SAVE files
>> to disks that have already been initialized, so my disk is able to correctly
>> write files.
>> Steve Reiss
>>internet: sreiss@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
>>usenet:   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!sreiss%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
>>Address:  Teknowledge Inc, 1850 Embarcadero Rd, POB 10119, Palo Alto, CA 94303

Yes, I've had this *exact* problem before. . .

>This sounds very familiar.

It always does, doesn't it?

>I would bet that your drive speed is off.  This is very easy to fix.
>[instructions on drive speed adjustment]
>Chris Schumann					schumann@puff.wisc.edu

Well, think about it.  IF you have a slow or fast drive, it should be
able to read and write all by itself, but unable to read other disks
formatted with other drives.  Unless the speed is way to fast, in which
case it overwrites part of it's own track formatting, in which case it
shouldn't be able to write *or* read *any* disks.

I had this problems twice.  Actually, the exact problem only once.  The
first problem I had was I couldn't write to *any* disk.  It was a bad
cable.  They do go bad, especially when you put them in their little
harness deally to "protect" them from damage, but when you keep putting
them in and out, eventually -- snap goes the cable.

The exact problem I had that corresponds to what I read here is pretty
easy to understand. When I formatted, everything went OK, until the last
track was written.  I'd here a little click, then silence, the
clkclkclkck I/O ERROR.  It turns out there's a little stopper at the end
of the track the head moves along (not the disk track, the metal bar it
slides along) that was adjusted just a hair to short.  I took a small
screwdriver and fixed it right up.  Haven't had a problem with it since.
Note that a dealer might not comprehend this problem, and send it back o
somesuch, for some $75, or whatever a a new drive assembly costs.  In
which case it can be cheaper to buy a new one.

If you can't figure it out, and here that little click just before the
I/O ERROR, send me e-mail and I'll be more detailed about it.

Sean Kamath
Hardware Guru of Boise St.
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET

neil@dsl.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP (10/28/87)

In article <7565@reed.UUCP> kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:
><Meet the DISK ][, the *original* headbanger!>
>
>In article <1130@puff.wisc.edu> schumann@puff.wisc.edu (Christopher Schumann) writes:
>>In article <18249@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, (Steve Reiss) writes:
>>> I need some help.  I just got hold of an Apple ][+ and am having trouble
>>> doing a disk initialization.  I type INIT HELLO and i get the disk to start
>>> it's noises, only to get I/O ERROR printed on my display.  I can SAVE files
>>> to disks that have already been initialized, so my disk is able to correctly
>>> write files.
>>> Steve Reiss

I've had this problem too and it turned out to be a corrupted init command.
I just booted up with a different system disk and had no trouble initing.

| "Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove |
|  all doubt" --- Abraham Lincoln                                            |
|  neil@dsl.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP                                               |

dr@ski.UUCP (10/29/87)

In article <> kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) writes:
><Meet the DISK ][, the *original* headbanger!>
>cable.  They do go bad, especially when you put them in their little
>harness deally to "protect" them from damage, but when you keep putting
>them in and out, eventually -- snap goes the cable.

Cables do become intermittent, especially at the connection pins. Same
goes for the controller card - pulling it out and cleaning the gold
contacts with something like alcohol is a good idea.  Gentle
pencil-eraser is also recommended, but some people say it rubs off the
gold plating.

>clkclkclkck I/O ERROR.  It turns out there's a little stopper at the end
>of the track the head moves along (not the disk track, the metal bar it
>slides along) that was adjusted just a hair to short.  I took a small
>screwdriver and fixed it right up.  Haven't had a problem with it since.

I think this is the track-zero stop referred to. It would have to be
pretty far off to influence formatting of the last track.

In any case, to adjust things properly, you really need an alignment
disk.  The only one I know of that can be used without a hardware disk
exerciser is D.A.D.S. Answer II, from ASKY, Inc. in San Jose.  This is
a disk custom written on a drive that allows off-center tracks, and
off-azsmuth (sp?) tracks.  It allows testing AND adjustment of many
items, including track-0 and head alignment.  It gives values in
mils.  It also tests hysteresis, head signal strength, noise.
It costs about $150 !.  It can be copied, but copies are worthless
because the special tracking canot be duplicated.

I dislike it because writing is tested by writing to the original
disk, something that I frown on if the drive can ruin the disk.
During a routine testing we disk overwrite a disk, but neither we nor
the techs could figure out what caused it.  A ruined disk is repalced
once during the 1 year warrantee for $25 I believe.  If you ruin it
again, you pay FULL PRICE.

				-dave
David Robins, M.D.
Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Foundation
(previously known as: Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Sciences)
2232 Webster St; San Francisco CA 94115
415/561-1705 (voice)
			{ihnp4,qantel,dual}!ptsfa!ski!dr

The opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of the Institute!