[comp.sys.apple] APW v1.0 release

arenberg@trwrb.UUCP (Jeff Arenberg) (10/23/87)

I just got a copy of APDA's September catalog update (slight problem with
fowarding mail) which advertises APW v1.0.  I currently have v1.0B4.  Does
anyone know enough about the differences between the two to say that it is
definitely worth the $30 to get the new upgrade?

Jeff Arenberg
UUCP : ( ucbvax, ihnp4, uscvax ) !trwrb!trwcsed!arenberg
ARPA : jarenberg@ecla.usc.edu
GEnie: shifty

In article <758@trwcsed.trwrb.UUCP> arenberg@trwcsed.UUCP (Jeff Arenberg) writes:
>Does anyone know enough about the differences between the two to say that it is
>definitely worth the $30 to get the new upgrade?

It depends on your needs.  I just got my update to APW 1.0 and so far have
noticed the following differences (I'm sure there are others):
	Several known problems in APW 1.0B4 are now fixed.
	The manual is better in some places.
	The version 2.0 object format is (mostly) supported.
	The disk comes with a newer version of ProDOS than on APW 1.0B4.
	Command pipelines are now supported.
Still the same horrible editor, source file type silliness, and VMS-like
commands, alas.  I wish they provided sources for the shell.  I'm working
on a port of Manx's vi-like editor to APW C as an interim measure on my
way to porting Jove or some other more usable editor.