[comp.sys.apple] Big problem with Access on //gs

pem@cadnetix.UUCP.UUCP (10/28/87)

[]
	I just purchased Apple's _Access_ terminal program for my //gs
on the recommendation of a heretofore-reliable dealer, and one of the
following seems to be true:
      - I am missing something important
      - The //gs version is buggy/needs the new ROM I don't have yet
      - The program stinks

	I am trying to talk to my Courier 2400 (Hayes superset) modem,
which works fine on my Mac, and every time I try to use the autodial
features my system hangs.  If I try the "dial on an Apple modem"
setting, I am unsurprised by the message indicating the modem is not
responding to Apple's protocol; if I try the "enter the dialing macro"
option, with the Hayes command "ATDT*70,123-4567", the system hangs
for about 2 minutes, then makes a funny sound and hangs for good.  The
only way out is to reset, which puts me in the old monitor with a
double beep and the data bank set to something like 4C.

	If I give up on autodialing and just type in the command in
terminal mode, it works fine.  (Thank goodness the Courier has some
automatic-redialing features built in...)

	This behavior occurs at both 2400 and 1200 baud.

	Can anyone suggest what is wrong?
--
pem@cadnetix.UUCP  (nbires!isis!ico!cadnetix!pem)

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (10/30/87)

In article <1007@cadnetix.UUCP>, pem@cadnetix.UUCP (Paul Meyer) writes:
> []
> 	I just purchased Apple's _Access_ terminal program for my //gs
> on the recommendation of a heretofore-reliable dealer, and one of the
> following seems to be true:
>       - I am missing something important
>       - The //gs version is buggy/needs the new ROM I don't have yet
>       - The program stinks
>
> 	I am trying to talk to my Courier 2400 (Hayes superset) modem,
> which works fine on my Mac, and every time I try to use the autodial
> features my system hangs.  If I try the "dial on an Apple modem"
> setting, I am unsurprised by the message indicating the modem is not
> responding to Apple's protocol; if I try the "enter the dialing macro"
> option, with the Hayes command "ATDT*70,123-4567", the system hangs
> for about 2 minutes, then makes a funny sound and hangs for good.

Maybe it thinks it's working with an Apple modem?

Try this:
  type  ATQ1E1DTnnn-nnnn

just to see what happens; ACCESS II is looking for commands compatible
with an APPLE modem, not a Hayes.

Or try this:
   type  ATS7=30S0-1V1M2D9,,T408-555-1212 [carriage return]

The first set of commands tells the modem:
  display all response codes and
  modem command characters to monitor
  and then dial the number

The second set of commands tells the modem:
  wait 30 seconds before hanging up; answer
  the tellie on the first ring, show response
  codes on monitor and leave speaker on.
  Two commas in a command string tell
  the modem to wait four seconds for a carrier.

of type ATL
this is the self-test to check if modem is properly connected, on
and functioning.

Access ][ is not a *very* sophisticated program; frankly speaking,
I think you'd be happier with Don Elton's TALK IS CHEAP *shareware*
and it certainly is less expensive!

I think that somewhere in the manual you'll find that if you
have another type of modem, other than an APPLE modem, you will
have to use dialing macros in the modem instructions.

The above tests which I gave you are considered dialing macros
by Access II but to use them properly you have to insert the
in front of the phone number when you enter the darned things
in your autodial menu, do this:

 pretend this is AUTO DIAL MENU
1. My BBS               *ATQ1E1DT212-555-1212
2. Your BBS             *ATQ1E1DT408-555-1212
3.
4.
blah blah

9.
     Pulse Dialing         Touchtone Dialing

Okay - so now you're going to ask me how I got those * in
front of the macros, right?
The program will ask for the service name:  type My BBS
Then it will ask is this a command file?  type N or NO
THe you are asked if you want to enter a phone #
or a dialing macro - type M  (for macro)

Then it asks you for the Telephone number:
   type    AT1E1DT1212-555-1212
only
Do NOT hit the carriage return yet!!!!!
See that prompt above the last line?

Here's the teaser:
  "To permit RETURN to be in the macro, end your entry with
   OPEN-APPLE RETURN."

Not a carriage return BUT OPEN APPLE-RETURN
 and that will put the little * in front of
your ATQ1E1DT1212-555-1212 file when Access puts it in
your auto dial file.  This will get ACCESS ]['s attention
and should stop your modem's strange behavior.

You might also try your own commands
   ATDTnnn-nnnn
might do it too! But the clincher is that OPEN-APPLE RETURN
and the commands must be in front of the phone number in
the autodial directory.

By the way,
Greg Schaefer has a very *easy* program out called ProTERM;
it's soooo easy you'll wonder why you bothered with
ACCESS ][ and its silly recording files (*arrrghhh*).
--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510