[net.movies] Name That Movie!

jdb@qubix.UUCP (Jeff Bulf) (05/31/84)

> From: wendt@arizona.UUCP (Alan Wendt)
>
> I remember (vaguely) a movie that must have come out around 1960,
> as I saw when I was 6 or 7.
> It was an adventure based in South America, scenery very remeniscent
> of, say, Romancing the Stone.  The hero was in the Navy and not only
> had to save the world but he had to catch the train to get back to
> base when his weekend furlough was over.  Saving the world in this
> case involved not letting the bad guys get all four little Incan
> statuettes.  Can anyone name that movie?

    This has to have been That Man From Rio. French-made with Jean-Paul
Belmondo in the title role. As I remember saving the world was incidental to
recovering Belmondo's girlfriend Agnes, who had been kidnapped by the
baddies along with the indian statuettes.

    Twas a real fun adventure flick, with most of the strengths of IJ#2
and fewer of the flaws. (eg I only had to suspend disbelief, not draw and
quarter it!). If you see it dubbed rather than subtitled, Belmondo sounds a
little dumb whenever he screams his girlfriend's name. ("Agnes" is pronounced
nicer in French than in English. Bad luck.)

--
	Dr Memory
	...{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!qubix!jdb