[comp.sys.apple] Recent BLU 227 update

steep-mo-m@HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA (John Shaver Modernization Office) (10/28/87)

I received the file and have since lost it.  I looked at the last 8 lines
of the exe file.  They follow:
BSAVE BLU,A$800,E$56A6
0800:00 00 00 07 11 08 E3 FF 00 00 02 29 00 4C AF 19 16 03 C2 CC D5 00 00 00
0818:00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 BF C3 03 08 90 06 20 DA FD 4C 2D FF A9 CF
0830:20 ED FD A9 CB 20 ED FD 20 8E FD 4C 00 BE
820G
6 3C 65
4C58:60 6B 1D 4F D9 E5 71 A7 B9 F9 6E D8 46 7A EA EE 03 8B 56 DE CC 68 0A 4C
4C70:77 1F 58 B4 26 27 B9 3E B0 FE 6E 2F 93 C5 F4 B

Why are their lines which follow the bsave command?

John

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (11/03/87)

In article <8710280939.aa00816@FHP2.HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA>, steep-mo-m@HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA (John Shaver Modernization Office) writes:
> I received the file and have since lost it.  I looked at the last 8 lines
> of the exe file.  They follow:
> BSAVE BLU,A$800,E$56A6
> Why are their lines which follow the bsave command?

John,

   This is the format that the EXECUTIONER program uses; formerly,
TE (THE EXECUTIVE) would end an EXEC file with BSAVE blah blah blah
and that would be it; I don't know why this new program has
lines after the BSAVE, maybe one of the techies could explain it,
but it seems to me that it may have something to do with the
packing part of the program (4 bit (HEX) or 6 bit packing) and
those lines probably tell ProDOS whthe packing info.  Someone
correct me if I'm wrong, please.
--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jeffrey Alan Ding) (11/06/87)

>> BSAVE BLU,A$800,E$56A6
>> Why are their lines which follow the bsave command?
>
>   This is the format that the EXECUTIONER program uses; formerly,
>TE (THE EXECUTIVE) would end an EXEC file with BSAVE blah blah blah
>and that would be it; I don't know why this new program has
>lines after the BSAVE, maybe one of the techies could explain it,
>but it seems to me that it may have something to do with the
>packing part of the program (4 bit (HEX) or 6 bit packing) and
>those lines probably tell ProDOS whthe packing info.  Someone
>correct me if I'm wrong, please.

I think the lines your talking about is garbage.  I looked at the exec
file of BLU2.27  and if I recall it was not in the EXECUTIONER format,
but some other format that did does not pack like the EXECUTIONER.
Those lines are a repeat of some of the hex dump somewhere in the middle of
the file.  If you do a search on part of that hex string you will find it.

Now in EXECUTIONER after the BSAVE command there is a $xxxxG.  I think
$E00G.  That changes the ProDos file type and the starting location of
the file to reflect the original files attributes.  If this was not done,
SYS files or BAS files for example would be saved as BIN file types.  Thus
making them useless.

Now about that new version of BLU  (2.27)  Has anyone gotten it to work?
I downloaded it to my computer and exec-ed it but when I ran it ....
Nothing.  I only tried downloading it once so maybe my file was corrupt.

Has anyone else had success in this new version?

Any comments, replies welcome.

neighbor@csd4.milw.wisc.edu