[comp.sys.apple] Apple III to IBM

childs@cadnetix.UUCP.UUCP (11/09/87)

Hello, I know someone who wants to port some basic programs from an Apple III
to an IBM PC.  I thought I might be able to get some help from the net.  First,
what is the difference of a Apple ][ verses a III?  Are there any programs for
either that will read/write the other format?  (][ - III, ][ - IBM, etc)

thanks for any help
David Childs  Cadnetix Corp  303 444-8075  childs@cadnetix.UUCP

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (11/10/87)

In article <1059@cadnetix.UUCP>, childs@cadnetix.UUCP (David Childs) writes:
> Hello, I know someone who wants to port some basic programs from an Apple III
> to an IBM PC.  I thought I might be able to get some help from the net.  First,
> what is the difference of a Apple ][ verses a III?  Are there any programs for
> either that will read/write the other format?  (][ - III, ][ - IBM, etc)
>
> thanks for any help
> David Childs  Cadnetix Corp  303 444-8075  childs@cadnetix.UUCP

The Apple/// uses a 6502 microprocessor, just like the one in the
Apple ][/+/e series.  However, the memory organization of the ///
is different, partly because the machine supports up to 512K of
memory.

The built-in disk drive of the /// is the same as the Disk][, with
all that implies (sloth, small capacity,...:]).  The /// has a
built-in emulation mode, making it look internally like a 48K Apple][,
or ][+, with a serial card in slot 7 (or something equally "unstandard",
if such a word can be applied to earlier Apple][s).  The /// has three
slots, identical to slots 1-4 in an Apple][.

Programs written in in Apple/// Business BASIC can be converted to
run under BasciA or whatever under MSDOS without too much trouble.
Certainly less than from Applesoft.  Graphics portions will most
likely have to be thrown out and redone from scratch.

For machine language...good luck.  You're talking major
changes, mostly because operating system stuff is so different,
not to mention the different processor.  Easier than going from
DOS3.3 to MSDOS, though.

You'll need a whole boatload of Apple/// manuals, in particular
the two SOS programmer's guides, Business BASIC Refence manual,
and Apple/// user's manuals.  It will barely be enough.

For transferring data Apple///-MSDOS, you can use nearly anything
on the PC, on the ///, Apple's Access/// will work just fine.
You can either use a modem or just connect the two machines with
an RS232C-compatible cable that uses a DB25 connector on the A///
end and whatever works on the PC end.

If you need manuals for the ///, you'll probably find them from
Sun Remanufacturing in Arizona.  (They usually advertise in Mac
or Apple// magazines, since they are currently selling and servicing
and supporting the Lisa/MacXL and Apple/// lines.

Good luck.  (What does the /// have that the PC don't already
have three or four of, btw?)

	seh

paulb@ttidca.TTI.COM (Paul Blumstein) (11/12/87)

In article <1059@cadnetix.UUCP> childs@cadnetix.UUCP (David Childs) writes:
>Hello, I know someone who wants to port some basic programs from an Apple III
>to an IBM PC.  I thought I might be able to get some help from the net.  First,
>what is the difference of a Apple ][ verses a III?  Are there any programs for
>either that will read/write the other format?  (][ - III, ][ - IBM, etc)

David:
  Don't know the III, but I had to convert some II progs to IBM for a friend.
I uploaded it to a VAX/UNIX system first.  Then I made most of the changes
using a sed.  Most differences can be changed that way.  Then I used an
editor to make some more changes.  Then downloaded it to a PC.
  This did a few things: solved the transfer problem as both computers
could log into a common machine; and, allowed global editing which is MUCH
faster than editting line by line.
    BTW, most differences where in graphics-type stuff.  That was a major
bitch.  Take away graphics & it's much easier.  The second biggest task
was looking up the Apple peeks & pokes & converting them to IBM statements.
   Hope this helps.
Paul Blumstein;Citicorp/TTI| Everyone is a 10 in some base numbering system.
{philabs,trwrb,csun,psivax}!ttidca!paulb  or  paulb@ttidca.TTI.COM
DISCLAIMER:  My company automatically disagrees with everything I say.