[comp.sys.apple] Undeliverable mail

Postmaster@UMNACVX.BITNET (PMDF Mail Server) (08/19/87)

Sorry I have to post this to the entire list but I can't seem to send it
to Doug Plate.  I wonder why....                     --Chris
Your message could not be delivered to:

    umn-cs!dicome!plate@umnd-cs.d.UMN.EDU

Your message has been enqueued and undeliverable for 4 days.
No further attempts will be made to deliver your messsage.

Your entire message follows:

>Chris,
>    Do send it.  I am interested in how this works, but I am in the dark
>about alot of the workings of this network.  I have posted messages asking
>someone to explain how the various parts of the network are set up and who
>they serve.  Also how to address mail to various hosts.  I would even be
>happy if someone pointed me to a reference source, but no one has responded
>with anything helpful.  If you have the time and resources, could you also
>answer some of these questions for me regarding the various parts of the
>network
>(bitnet, uucp, arpa, etc).  Thanks.
>
>        Doug Plate
I am not sure what questions you are refering to.  Also I am note sure if
I WILL be able to help you.  I may address things differently than you
would due to differences in mainframe system and differences in the
network you are on.  I am on bitnet and we send things differently
than you would on UUCP.  If you send the questions, I can try to answer
them and I also have a friend who also knows something about the
networks and may also be able to help.

Chris

SMTP@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (11/12/87)

Error in Batch SMTP Command Sequence.
Unable to deliver mail to some/all recipients.
Reply codes with first digit = '4' or  '5' are error replies:

220 wiscvm.wisc.edu running IBM VM SMTP ready at Wed, 11 Nov 87 20:00:15 CDT
050 HELO gallua.bitnet
250 wiscvm.wisc.edu
050 TICK 0001
250 OK
050 MAIL FROM:<Info-Apple@BRL.ARPA>
250 OK
050 RCPT TO:<Info-Apple@BRL.ARPA>
250 OK
050 RCPT TO:<Postmaster@gallua.gallaudet.EDU>
550 Host 'gallua.gallaudet.EDU' Unknown
050 DATA
354 Enter mail body.  End by new line with just a '.'
250 Mail Delivered
050 QUIT
221 wiscvm.wisc.edu Service closing transmission channel

           ** Text of Mail follows **
HELO gallua.bitnet
TICK 0001
MAIL FROM:<Info-Apple@BRL.ARPA>
RCPT TO:<Info-Apple@BRL.ARPA>
RCPT TO:<Postmaster@gallua.gallaudet.EDU>
DATA
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 87 20:40 EST
From: The Mail Server <Postmaster@gallua.gallaudet.EDU>
Subject: Undeliverable mail
To: Info-Apple@BRL.ARPA

Message had a bad or missing To address.
The entire text of the message follows:

Date: Tue, 10 Nov 87 21:50 AST
From: FFDDO%ALASKA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: GS Upgrade with System 3.1 disk
Sender: INFO-APP Info-Apple List <INFO-APP@NDSUVM1>
To: TODD HLAVACEK <11THLAVA@GALLUA>
Comments: To: Info-Apple@BRL.ARPA

The problem is that you
need system 2.X to run on a IIGS with less
than 512K.
Your dealer should have known that, and given you the proper disk.
Oh, this message is to the user who was
getting a system error $0201 when running Finder on his
new upgraded IIGS.
David Oberhart
<FFDDO@ALASKA>
.
QUIT

SMTP@WISCVM.WISC.EDU.UUCP (11/12/87)

Error in Batch SMTP Command Sequence.
Unable to deliver mail to some/all recipients.
Reply codes with first digit = '4' or  '5' are error replies:

220 wiscvm.wisc.edu running IBM VM SMTP ready at Wed, 11 Nov 87 20:01:43 CDT

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 87 20:46 EST
From: The Mail Server <Postmaster@gallua.gallaudet.EDU>
To: Info-Apple@BRL.ARPA

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 87 19:59:20 EST
From: Info-Apple-Request <wmapple@BRL.ARPA>
Subject: Test Message
Sender: INFO-APP Info-Apple List <INFO-APP@NDSUVM1>
To: TODD HLAVACEK <11THLAVA@GALLUA>
Comments: To: Bitnet List <info-app%ndsuvm1.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.EDU>

This is a test of an alternate route for Info-Apple to the BITNET
users.  Would Marty, Chris, and Murphy please acknowledge receipt to
info-apple-request@brl.arpa.  (It doesn't matter; if your name is Marty,
Chris, or Murphy, please ACK so I can get a representative set without
having everyone's response.)

Thanks,

_Brint
<info-apple-request@brl.arpa>

.
QUIT

SMTP@WISCVM.WISC.EDU.UUCP (11/12/87)

Error in Batch SMTP Command Sequence.
Unable to deliver mail to some/all recipients.
Reply codes with first digit = '4' or  '5' are error replies:

220 wiscvm.wisc.edu running IBM VM SMTP ready at Wed, 11 Nov 87 20:12:06 CDT

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 87 21:11 EST
From: The Mail Server <Postmaster@gallua.gallaudet.EDU>
To: Info-Apple@BRL.ARPA

Date: Wed, 4 Nov 87 07:40:00 EST
From: "Bruce P. Halpern" <halp@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU>
Subject: Re: APPLE ][+
Sender: INFO-APP Info-Apple List <INFO-APP@NDSUVM1>
To: TODD HLAVACEK <11THLAVA@GALLUA>
Comments: To: Henry_Chiavaroli.WBST129UL@Xerox.COM,
 XeroxInfo-Apple^.X@Xerox.COM, info-apple@BRL.ARPA

1. Applied Engineering RamFactor and Transwarp.
         Both very good. May or may not require a new power supply, depending
upon exact state of yours. AE replacement power supply is good. Shop around
thru magazines, etc. for best prices, e.g., CDA Computer Sales (800-526-5313)
is offering Transwarp for $175 plus shipping (2%). See ad on page 162 of
November A +  .

2. Laser 128EX

Reviewed on pages 131-137 of December, 1987 A + (which is the correct citation
for #1, above, also). In general, strongly recommended for those who do not
need full features of ][e or ][gs.

Again, check for prices. Central Point's are often very good.

3. Mouse in ][+

The AppleMouse ][ can be installed in a ][, ][+, or ][e. You need the AppleMouse
][ card, which comes with a mouse. Once again, check prices.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |
.
QUIT

SMTP@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (11/12/87)

Error in Batch SMTP Command Sequence.
Unable to deliver mail to some/all recipients.
Reply codes with first digit = '4' or  '5' are error replies:

220 wiscvm.wisc.edu running IBM VM SMTP ready at Wed, 11 Nov 87 20:23:44 CDT

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 87 21:23 EST
From: The Mail Server <Postmaster@gallua.gallaudet.EDU>
To: Info-Apple@BRL.ARPA

Date: 9 Nov 87 04:14:15 GMT
From: "Larry W. Virden" <cbosgd!gwspc!cbcsta!n8emr!lwv@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: HELP! GS SHR Display strange
Sender: INFO-APP Info-Apple List <INFO-APP@NDSUVM1>
To: TODD HLAVACEK <11THLAVA@GALLUA>
Comments:     Warning -- original Sender: tag was info-apple-request@BRL.ARPA
Comments: To: info-apple@BRL.ARPA

Hi folks.  Here is a summary of my problem.  Note that I am DESPARATE for
a quick fix solution.

1. Back in the good old days (before VGC upgrade) there was the old Mouse
desktop.  At that time, there was an occasional problem which would occur when
things like going into and out of the control panel occured which would cause
what I would have to call a 'bleeding' of the graphics screen.  All text would
be strange looking, icons would be smeared, etc.

2. I am currently running a IIgs, with new roms, new vgc, System 3.1, GS Ram
with 1.5 meg.  I have been running this for about 2 months now.

3. Until today, there were no problems.  I booted up a disk which displayed
graphics and text via SHR.  The text today began "sparkling"... that is
the text was not only smeared but was having the jitters all back and forth
across the screen.

My first reaction was that my 2 yr old had messed something up.  I checked all
cables and things were fine.  Next reaction was that I was losing some ram
chips.  I ran the AE ram checking software and that checked out okay.  I booted
the System Disk (3.1) and found basically the same problem, only with more
smear, on the desktop.  I set the alternate text mode on and off to no avail.
I ran the system diagnostics - and got a system good.

I then cold booted the machine (it hadnt been on for about 24 hrs previously

and this was about 35 minutes into the session.  No good = things still smeared.

This is where I am now.  My gut says that the VGC is dying, but I dont know
how to verify that.  Before I pay a lot of $$ to the service folks to tell me
that my kid stuck peanot butter in the exhaust fan or something weird, can
anyone out ther give me ANY ideas on things to check?  PLEASE, if you have
had a similar experience and KNOW what the problem is, let me know asap...

THANKS!

--
Larry W. Virden     75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

Postmaster@gallua.gallaudet.EDU (The Mail Server) (11/12/87)

Date: Tue, 10 Nov 87 21:50 AST
From: FFDDO%ALASKA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Sender: INFO-APP Info-Apple List <INFO-APP@NDSUVM1>