[comp.sys.apple] 3.5" copy programs?

Rankins@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (11/13/87)

Can anyone tell me what copy programs are available for making backups
of copy-protected 3.5" disks?  I've seen where there are some planned to
be released, but I was wondering if there were any available now.  Is
there anything out there that's public domain or shareware?  How about
editors (block,sector) for 3.5" disks?  What do I need/what is available
to perform the deprotecting schemes that have recently been posted to
info-apple and apple2-l?  Thanks for any help or info.

  (BTW:  I'm not into pirating software, it's just that after spending
$50+ for a program, I'd like to have a backup copy or two around just in
case.  I also don't feel like sending another $10-20 to the company to
get a backup after having shelled out so much to purchase it in the
first place.)

                                        Ray Rankins

Rankins@Dockmaster.arpa

REWING@TRINCC.BITNET (11/15/87)

I believe the program you're looking for is Copy II Plus.  The old girl
from way back in 1981 is now in version 7.X, and reputedly can copy
copy-protected 3.5" disks.  Call Central Point Software for details on this.
In the meantime, if you know someone that has a Mac around, Copy II Mac
(also from Central Point) will copy protected Apple ][ 3.5" disks in its
"bit-copy" mode, since the raw data/sector format between Mac and Apple ][
3.5" disks are identical.
--Richard Ewing
  Trinity College Apple ][/Macintosh Consultant

aehl@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Donald J Aehl) (11/15/87)

In article <871113135855.545580@DOCKMASTER.ARPA> Rankins@DOCKMASTER.ARPA writes:
>editors (block,sector) for 3.5" disks?  What do I need/what is available
>to perform the deprotecting schemes that have recently been posted to
>info-apple and apple2-l?  Thanks for any help or info.

I am also interested in deprotecting my 3.5" Apple IIgs programs.  I am a
new user to this system.  My question is: What are these DEPROTECTING SCHEMES,
and how can I get a listing of them.  I am not familiar with the terms info-
apple and apple2-l, although I have noticed them quite often on this newsgroup.
Could anyone describe to me what these are and how I can get access to them?

Thanx.

Oh, by the way. If Prodos block editing is what you need then Bag of Tricks II
would be a good program to choose.  It edits 5.25" and 3.5" Prodos disks along
with 5.25" DOS 3.3, Pascal, and CP/M disks.

ahby@bungia.Bungia.MN.ORG (Shane P. McCarron) (11/17/87)

In article <8711160122.aa14979@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> REWING@TRINCC.BITNET writes:
>I believe the program you're looking for is Copy II Plus.  The old girl
>from way back in 1981 is now in version 7.X, and reputedly can copy
>copy-protected 3.5" disks.  Call Central Point Software for details on this.
>In the meantime, if you know someone that has a Mac around, Copy II Mac
>(also from Central Point) will copy protected Apple ][ 3.5" disks in its
>"bit-copy" mode, since the raw data/sector format between Mac and Apple ][
>3.5" disks are identical.

I don't believe that this is correct.  The Apple ][ on a 3.5 uses 512
bytes per block, while the Mac uses 524(?).  Anyway, more than 512.
The mac places file attribute bytes in each block of a file so that
the file lise can be reconstructed even if the directory is
destroyed.  Bit copy mode may work anyway, but only because the
encoding mechanism used for the media is the same (IWM).
--
Shane P. McCarron			UUCP: ahby@mecc.mn.org
Systems Analyst, Technical Services	ATT: +1 612 481-3589