[comp.sys.apple] Chinese character generation on the Apple

tsouth@pro-pac.UUCP.UUCP (11/16/87)

---------------  In reference to:

>From: Donald Tsang <crash!ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU!cory.Berkeley.EDU!tsang>
>
>Has anyone seen or head of programs which allow entry and printing of Chinese
>characters?  For //e or //gs is fine.  I have need of a program that allows
>printing (kinda like Print Shop, but for chinese text).
>
>If nobody has seen one, I may have to (shudder) get an IBM clone...  yech...
>
>Send replies to tsang@cory.Berkeley.EDU / [...]!ucbvax!cory!tsang, or, if
>you feel this is interesting, followup to the net...
>
>   Thanks in advance,
>      Donald Tsang
>
>PS  I have an apple //e, an apple //gs, and an Epson FX-80+ with Imagewriter
>    graphics compatibility (Dresselhaus Dots Perfect)...

When I was stationed in Japan, there were a number of pieces floating around
that would allow Chinese character generation on American computers.  The
Japanese even had a operation system that was specifically written for the NEC
computers (the most popular one among the local Japanese users) that allowed
them to translate, on screen, between Japanese and Chinese characters.  But it
was very specialized and I doubt that you would want to go to Japan to pick it
up.

On the other hand, there was a company in Tawain called Bison International
that made a Chinese character generator for the IBM and compats.  If you know
anyone overseas, Bison is very popular, but I do not have their address any
longer.  They also sold a Chinese (Madiran (sp?) I believe) word-processor for
the Apple clones that they sold.  If you want to follow this lead I really
couldn't tell you who to contact, though, since I have been away from there
for a while, and it is just too expensive to mail order things from overseas.
But, if your need is great enough, you might be able to get ahold of the
address of some of the Japanese user groups (Yes, they have Apple user groups
over there!) from CALL A.P.P.L.E's hotline number [206/251-0071], or at least
get pointed in the right direction.

                           Todd South
| UUCP:     !crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-pac!tsouth                             |
| ProLine:  pro-sol!pro-pac!tsouth       (polled daily)                      |
|           pro-simasd!pro-pac!tsouth    (polled daily)                      |
|           pro-party!pro-pac!tsouth     (polled weekly)                     |
| Pro-pac   (808) 499-2831  2400 baud                                        |
|           (808) 499-1007  2400 baud                                        |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

mkao@pnet01.cts.COM.UUCP (11/18/87)

I have worked with a Chinese character-generator board for the Apple II. It is
a HUGE peripheral, which makes sense, considering how many radicals and
characters there are in Chinese. Unfortunately, I don't know who makes it or
where you could get one. The one I worked with came from some small company in
Taiwan. At least now you know there are HARDWARE items that do this...

To insure my reception of any replies, please respond via e-mail. Thanks!

                                                                  -- Mike Kao

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!mkao
ARPA: crash!pnet01!mkao@nosc.mil
INET: mkao@pnet01.CTS.COM