[comp.sys.apple] Desktop Publishing for Apple ][

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (11/17/87)

In article <8711112102.aa05979@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:

>   I'm interested in two programs, Springboard Publisher and Beagle Bros.
> Timeout Quickspell, that I haven't seen either in person or any reviews of.
> Does anyone have any experience with either?  Any recommendations or
> references for reviews?

My copy of SVE (Society of Visual Education, Inc.) catalog (Chicago)
says that software will be available January 1988.

The catalog description sounds terrific - I can hardly wait to
see it!

Beagle Bros' Timeout Quickspell should be available now - I haven't
seen a copy yet.

--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510

prw@meccsd.UUCP (11/19/87)

In article <8711112102.aa05979@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET writes:

>   I'm interested in two programs, Springboard Publisher and Beagle Bros.
> Timeout Quickspell, that I haven't seen either in person or any reviews of.
> Does anyone have any experience with either?  Any recommendations or
> references for reviews?

I saw Springboard Publisher at a conference last week.  It's a
combination of MacWrite and MacPaint.  It has lots of features,
including multi-column text and text that wraps around graphics.  The
one thing that I just couldn't stand about the package is that it is
very, very, ... , very, very slow.  Since it runs on a //e, I guess
that's to be expected.

Springboard said that the product was scheduled for a January release.
These are the prices that they give in their brochure:

Springboard Publisher	$139.95
Laser Driver		$39.95	(allows printing to a LaserWriter)
Style Sheets		$29.95	(pre-fab newsletters, etc.)
Works of Art		$39.95	(clip art)

Another desktop publishing program I saw was called Melody (by Milliken,
I think).  It runs only on a IIGS but is considerably faster than
Springboard Publisher.

-Paul R. Wenker
-MECC

forde@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA.UUCP (11/20/87)

Regarding Timeout Quick Spell....it has indeed left the area of Vaporware and
is on the street.  I have had a chance to look through the docs and see the
program in operation on a friend's machine.  Unfortunately (and it is stated
in the fine print of the ad) it only works for Appleworks 2.0.  I remember
seeing reports of *bugs* in Appleworks 2.0 so I haven't rushed out to buy it
myself.  Quickspell looks like quite a tool, however.  Well up to the BB
reputation.

Eric
------