[comp.sys.apple] Can a ProDos Volume be renamed without affecting anything else?

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (11/19/87)

Is there a way to rename a ProDos volume without altering anyting else about thevolume? Disk copy routines seem to want to keep everyting the same. Another
place I'd like to do this is to rename a ramdisk after transfering files to it. I'm transfering ProSel to a ramdisk created by Applied Engineering's ProDrive
program (this allows me to partition the RamWorks III card so that when I load
AppleWorks, it doesn't overwrite that portion of ram onto which I have written
ProSel). However, the pathnames of applications on ProSel are now all wrong,
since they are now all on /RAM rather than on their original volume.

Any solutions?

schumann@puff.wisc.edu (Christopher Schumann) (11/21/87)

("Bruce P. Halpern") writes:
> Is there a way to rename a ProDos volume without altering anyting
> else about the volume?

Yes! It is a very simple opertaion.

From BASIC, try RENAME /RAM,/PROSEL
Works great.  This can also be done with Copy II Plus (ProDOS version).

Chris Schumann				schumann@puff.cs.wisc.edu

mw22+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Michael Alan Wertheim) (11/22/87)

Under Basic.System, try:

RENAME /VOLUME1,/VOLUME2

It works.

The MLI Rename call will work too.

Michael Wertheim
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

Arpa: mw22@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet: mw22@cmuccvma
UUCP: ...!{seismo, ucbvax, harvard}!andrew.cmu.edu!mw22#