[comp.sys.apple] hard Disk Backup program for IIGS

norman@sdics.UUCP (11/22/87)

I am looking for a good hard disk backup program for the II GS.
Actually, since I don't have any right now, even a bad one will help.
	[Good == choice of full or incremental dump & restore, with
	automatic date-stamp determination of new files for the
	incremental case.]

Ideally it will run under the system 3.1 desktop but this is probably
not necessary.  (But it MUST use 3 1/2 880K diskettes -- after all it
is a 20 Mbyte drive!)

The Macintosh world has dozens of such programs.  I haven't been able
to find single one for the GS, and I am getting very nervous.

Equipment: GS.  1 mbyte memory.  Apple 20 Mbyte hard disk.

don norman

Donald A. Norman
Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, California 92093
ARPA:     norman@nprdc.arpa   	UNIX:{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!ics!norman
BITNET:   danorman@ucsd     	INTERNET: danorman@ucsd.edu
INTERNET: norman%ics@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu   norman%ics.ucsd.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

In article <411@sdics.ucsd.EDU> norman@sdics.UUCP (Donald A. Norman) writes:
>I am looking for a good hard disk backup program for the II GS.
>Actually, since I don't have any right now, even a bad one will help.

I've used Apple's "Backup II" successfully with a 5Mb ProFile and
3.5" backup media.  I wouldn't call it terrific, but it worked okay.