[comp.sys.apple] Calling for a vote for comp.binaries.apple

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (11/12/87)

Since we keep discussing this and discussing this and dont seem to make any
progress, I will call for a vote on this topic.  PLEASE read the following info
and follow instructions specifically.  Only those who follow these instructions
will be considered as legitmate votes.

As per the posting "How to create a New Newsgroup" message-ID: 2177@arthur.cs.purdue.edu
posted on 11/2/87 by Gene Spafford, I am calling for a vote for the binaries
group for the Apple II.

1. Is this group needed?  There have been quite a number of postings (size
unknown by me due to uucp -> bitnet type problems) to a bitnet server for
similar code.  The current public domain software situation with Apple
II software is very promising; there are many programs available to the world
out there IF you happen to be in a part of the country which supports public
domain software.  There are enough users reading the comp.sys.apple group
(estimate reading audience of 6700 according to the latest arbitron stats)
that a binaries group could be supported.  The reason that a separate group
is being called for is that comp.sys.apple is being gatewayed into bitnet
and arpa net groups, as well as proline and possibly other systems.  The
size of the individual binary files are such that they should NOT automatically
be distributed to these groups, but allow a particular system administrator
to SPECIFICALLY set up handing of these groups.

Also, this group should be considered a complement to the Apple2-L group.
If the adminstrators of that group wish to set up links so that they get what
is posted here, to make access to the college world easier, that sounds like a
fine idea to me.  Likewise, if someone wants to set up a link to simtel20 or
someother arpa net group, so that folks with ftp access can get to these files,
that TOO would be a fine idea.

2. An appropriate name for this group is, in my mind, comp.binaries.apple,
paralleling comp.sys.apple for general discussions.

3. This is the posting to the news.groups file describing the group.

WARNING!!! SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS AHEAD!!!!

Comments on this proposal should be posted for all to discuss.  VOTES WILL ONLY BE
COUNTED IF THEY ARRIVE IN MY MAILBOX!

If you are unable to reach this path by mail, then post a mail message stating
THAT (and NOT how you would vote) to the followup group.  Folks following this
discussion can then attempt to help you find a different path to me, though
my backbone is certainly easy enough to find :-).

4. I will consider all comments and objections.  I will attempt to answer all
in a timely fashion, allowing for possible system problems, delays, etc.

5. I will collect all MAILED votes on the issue.  The cut off date for this
will be Saturday, Dec. 12.  I will be posting the talley of yes, no and
undetermined votes and the list of account names of all who voted.  PLEASE,
be sure to explicitly state a YES or a NO for the creation.  If your vote is
is YES, no other comments will be necessary, unless you have some interesting
info that you would like to contribute.  If you have a NO vote, please consider
letting me know why.  Perhaps I can then also summarize the major reasons against
the group and determine a way to make you happy as well!

6. At the end, if the group has 100 or more more yes votes than no votes I will
send mail back to the backbone requesting creation.  This does NOT guarentee
our group will be created, but I am sure that these folks will give us equal
shot at getting a new group.

Also, it is only fair to state that only one vote per user will be counted.
Oh, one other thing, I see no need for this to be a moderated group at this
time.  Also, I do NOT volunteer to server as an archiving site, since I am
a guest of this system.  Perhaps if these two items need to be addressed, I
can get some volunteers as a part of the voting.

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

abc@BRL.ARPA (Brint Cooper) (11/13/87)

I'm glad to see that Larry Virden is calling for a vote on
comp.binaries.apple.  There has been enough talk, and it is good to have
some action.

What about Apple software sources?  Is it intended that programs in C,
Assembler, BASIC, PASCAL, LOGO, and whatever be posted to
comp.binaries.apple or would the group be restricted only to EXEC-able
hex files.

If it's restricted, perhaps we should have a companion
comp.sources.apple?

What say you?

Brint Cooper

lwv@n8emr.UUCP ("Larry W. Virden") (11/15/87)

As for comp.sources.apple - I want to get the binaries set up first.  Once
we see wahat the support, etc is, THEN lets see what else we can do!

P.S. Brint - you didnt vote...

burton@SILVER.BACS.INDIANA.EDU (Rex_Burton) (11/17/87)

i vote yes, thanks
Rex Burton@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

eric@hpfelg.HP.COM (Eric Widhalm) (11/20/87)

Aye, aye, go for it!!

wilhoit@artsvax.UUCP (11/20/87)

Yes.
By all means.
comp.binaries.apple _and_ comp.sources.apple.
I'm shocked there aren't such already.
They would be _busy_.
Do it.
Please.

FW
.

patth@dasys1.UUCP (11/21/87)

In article <8711171248.aa11841@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, burton@SILVER.BACS.INDIANA.EDU (Rex_Burton) writes:
> i vote yes, thanks
> Rex Burton@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

Rex,

We sure do appreciate your YES vote for the comp.binaries.apple2
newsgroup.

Those of you who have not yet voted, please do so, the deadline
is December 12th and it's coming up soon.

You'll remember the reasons we are asking for this newsgroup?
Anyone on the mailing list receives the files being sent from
LISTSERV@BROWNVM.BITNET but, alas, no one can send FILE REQUESTS
for any of the old files *arrrgghhh*

If we have a comp.binaries.apple2 group here on UseNET, all
UseNet users can unsubscribe to the mailing list - this would
cut down net traffic considerably and we'd all have access to
the apple programs in the comp.binaries.apple2
newsgroup.

Please, if you haven't voted yet, or if you know of users at
your site who haven't sent their votes to Larry Virden,
encourage them to send votes to Larry Virden using this
mailpath:
                   lwv@n8emr.UUCP

Thank you.
ing--
Patt Haring                       UUCP:    ..cmcl2!phri!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat                  Compu$erve: 76566,2510
New York, NY, USA                 MCI Mail: 306-1255;  GEnie: PHaring
(212) 879-9031                    FidoNet Mail: 1:107/701 or 107/222

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (11/24/87)

Well, I didnt want to do this, but I guess I am going to have to.  I have
been having some difficulty getting to artsvax!wilhoit, Ted Medin,
and a couple others.  If AND ONLY IF you have not heard from me regarding reception of
your comp.binaries.apple vote AND IF AND ONLY IF you have sent your vote
more than a week ago, please resend your vote AND be sure to
specify a uucp pathname thru a backbone site that you KNOW works for mail
coming to you.  Thanks!

P.S.  So far the vote is APPROX. 40 to 1 in favor of the group.  We will need
at least 60 more vote to make an impact - and more if any of those are no votes.

P.P.S. I am also open to finding a RESPONSIBLE moderator; volenteers are welcome
to drop me mail.  What I would LOVE to find is some gateway folks as well - folks
who could pass things along to arpa/bitnet if they dont automatically get
them.
--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
cbosgd!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)
We haven't inherited the world from our parents, but borrowed it from our children.

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (11/24/87)

P.P.P.P.S. to my moments ago posted update; discussions concerning the group
should continue to be cross posted to news.groups; I didnt cross post that
last message because a) I forgot, and b) it really has to do with the fact that
some of you may have wondered why you didnt get a msg from me.
--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817
cbosgd!n8emr!lwv (UUCP)
We haven't inherited the world from our parents, but borrowed it from our children.

dipto@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Dipto Chakravarty ) (11/25/87)

Here is my vote for comp.binaries.apple

:-)