[comp.sys.apple] MouseTalk and RAMCARDS

NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Brian Dall) (11/23/87)

     I have heard from a friend that there is a problem with using
AE Pro MouseTalk with a Ramdisk.
     He has a RamWorks II with 1 meg of Aux. memory on it and sets
a 768K /ram disk using the software provided with the card (which
leaves 256K of Aux. memory plus 64K on motherboard).

     He says that no matter what he tries, MouseTalk goes out and
actively destroys his ramdisk.  He said he tried renaming the volume
(to /tdisk or something) and tried changing the slot the ramdisk
emulates, but MouseTalk still goes out and kills the files, although
sometimes strange things happened.

     It is incredible that a program could have 320K of memory to
play around in and still want to go and zap the rest of it

     He said he sent the company a postcard, but hasn't gotten a
reply yet (truthfully, I'm not sure he actually sent it yet).

     The version that he has is 1.30.  Does anyone out there in
netland know if there is a new version out that doesn't resort
to such nasty tricks?
       take care,
                                     -Bri
Brian Dall        |                           |"It is dangerous to tell
PO Box 5112       |  NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET  | the people that laws are
NDSU Station      |                           | not just. . . ."
Fargo, ND  58105  |                           |  -Blaise Pascal

daveharv@pro-novapple.UUCP (Dave Harvey) (11/29/87)

NU092254@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Brian Dall) writes:
>I have heard from a friend that there is a problem with using AE Pro
>Mousetalk with a Ramdisk.
>He says that no matter what he tries, MouseTalk goes out and
>actively destroys his ramdisk.

I had the same problem with earlier versions of MouseTalk before version 1.3. I
have a 768K original Ramworks installed and before version 1.3 it was destroying
files.  Since getting version 1.3, I have had no more problems.  The files stay
intact.  I use Slotchanger to put the RAM volume in slot 4, drive 1.  Does your
friend have the latest version of RAMDRIVE software from Applied Engineering?
That could be the problem.

PROLINE: pro-connection!pro-novapple!daveharv
UUCP: {ihnp4, cbosgd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pro-connection!pro-novapple!daveharv
ARPA: crash!pro-connection!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil
INT: pro-novapple!daveharv@pro-connection.cts.com
pro-novapple :-> 1 703 352-5842 - 300/1200/2400 - 24 hrs