[comp.sys.apple] RESETTING RAM DISK SIZE WITHOUT TURNING OFF GS

2QZNHONE@UKANVAX.BITNET (11/23/87)

The way you reset your /RAM disk is to select the size you want then you must
quit the control panel and quit the desktop accessory panel then press these
keys:Open Apple_Shift_Control_Reset   That simulates a cold boot without
having to turn off the //GS.  Remember to quit the control panel after you
select your new ram disk size. Then press the necessary keys as described above.
Todd Smith
2QZNHONE@UKANVAX.BITNE.B

keith@apple.UUCP (Keith Rollin) (11/25/87)

In article <8711230105.aa05117@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> 2QZNHONE@UKANVAX.BITNET writes:
>The way you reset your /RAM disk is to select the size you want then you must
>quit the control panel and quit the desktop accessory panel then press these
>keys:Open Apple_Shift_Control_Reset   That simulates a cold boot without
>having to turn off the //GS.  Remember to quit the control panel after you
>select your new ram disk size. Then press the necessary keys as described above.

If YOUR computer does this, then you might want to have it checked. One of
the differences between turning on your machine and pressing OA/Ctrl/Reset
is that the latter does not alter the size of the RAM disk.

I checked out your precedure with the new ROMs to see if anything had
changed. I also tried OA/Ctrl/Reset while holding down the Shift key
(which shouldn't make a difference) to see if the GS guys slipped in
something without telling me. As far as I could tell, there was NO
CHANGE in the size of the RAM disk. The RAM disk was designed this way
specially, so that it wouldn't accidentally be wiped out.

--

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Sales Technical Support                               pyramid!sun !apple!keith

Disclaimer: I read this board for fun, not profit. Anything I say is from the
            result of reading magazines, hacking, and soaking my head in acid.

C38IO005@NCSUVM.BITNET (12/01/87)

THERE IS A PROGRAM AVAILABLE ON GENIE CALLED SRESET THAT ALLOWS YOU TO CHANGE S
TUFF ON THE CONROL PANEL WITHOUT TURNING THE MACHINE OFF.  THE DISADVANTAGE IS
THAT IT REBOOTS THE SYSTEM.