[comp.sys.apple] Apple to Mac

tab556@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU (todd arthur biske) (12/03/87)

Does anybody know if there is a PD utility for the GS that allows it to read
Macintosh format disks and copy files over to Prodos?  Or if there is a utility
for the Mac, that allows it to read Prodos files.  Any help would be
appreciated.
-tb

"If practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, why practice?"

keith@apple.UUCP (12/03/87)

In article <8712030142.AA09530@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> tab556@UXA.CSO.UIUC.EDU (todd arthur biske) writes:
>Does anybody know if there is a PD utility for the GS that allows it to read
>Macintosh format disks and copy files over to Prodos?  Or if there is a utility
>for the Mac, that allows it to read Prodos files.  Any help would be
>appreciated.

Apple now includes a utility on the Macintosh System Utilities disks that will
allow that type of conversion. It can transfer data between Macintosh, ProDOS
(on 3.5 disks) and MS-DOS (using a PC-drive on the Mac). In addition, you
can install translators that can perform some sort of data massage to put
your information into some useful form (e.g. convert an AppleWorks file
into one that can be read from Microsoft Works on the Mac).

Oh, almost forgot...this program is called Apple File Exchange

--

Keith Rollin                                               amdahl\
Sales Technical Support                               pyramid!sun !apple!keith

Disclaimer: I read this board for fun, not profit. Anything I say is from the
            result of reading magazines, hacking, and soaking my head in acid.

halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.EDU.UUCP (12/04/87)

In addition to the ?Apple File Converter? utility apparently supplied by Apple
with recent Macs (described in a recent article), which I have never tried, theris a stand-alone program, ProLink (ALSoft, Inc., P.O. Box 927, Spring TX,
77383-0927. Tel:713-353-44090) that converts between *text* files on Apple ][x
(i.e., any Apple ][ that can run 3.5 inch drive) and Mac 512/512E/+ (may also
work on SE or II). Mac must have one 800K drive.
Apple disks must be 800K; Mac disks can be 400K or 800K.

If I can find a copy of Apple's program, I'll try it and post comparison.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |