[comp.sys.apple] The bounced mail

SEWALL@UCONNVM.BITNET (12/12/87)

Rich, all those "undelivered mail" files didn't come from info-apple,
they came from APPLE2-L.

Yes, Todd your Backgammon game did arrive intact at APPLE2-L, all those
files just coincidently turned up right after you shipped your posting.

To anyone else asking what they (or someone else) did to cause all
of those files (I counted 57; did anyone other than Larry Blue get more
more than one copy of all of them?), the answer is - a person didn't do
it (note all those header records referring to "mailer-daemon" -- that's
a robot).

I did the logical thing and asked the POSTMASTER who owns that daemon.
Here's what he told me (and I hope this puts the subject to rest, we
don't need 57 more pieces of mail complaining about the 57 undelivered
mail messages).

>Date:  Thu, 10 Dec 87 13:58 EST
>From:  Les Gotch <Gotch@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>
>Subject:  Re: Deamon runs amok!
>
>Sir:

>was the following.  Why it went out to the rest of the net I am not
>sure.  From what we can see in our logs is that mail from WISCVM to one
>of our users was not deliverable because his mailbox was full.  It sent
>the mail back to WISCVM which in turn tried to deliver it again, etc,
>etc,.  They got in a loop and somehow you guys started getting the mail.
>That part has us baffled because we're not sure why the response to
>WISCVM was placed in the queue for other hosts.  Sorry for the
>inconvenience.  Glad that it was a short message.
>
>Les Gotch

Dare we hope that when everything shifts to the new gateways a trap
will exist to prevent repeats of this battle among the robots?

ARPA:   sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu       Murphy A. Sewall
BITNET: SEWALL@UCONNVM                          School of Business Admin.
UUCP:   ...ihnp4!psuvax1!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL  University of Connecticut