[comp.sys.apple] Wordperfect //GS

forde@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA ("MAJ ERIC S. FORD") (12/11/87)

I had a chance to run the GS version of WP at a local computer fair last
weekend.  One of the visitors to our club's booth had a problem he hoped we
could help him with.  It seems that he could run the program just fine but it
would not let him save any files.  His setup consisted of one 3.5" disk and one
5.25" disk.  He was unable to use the 3.5 disk for data storage.  It seems that
WP reserves its boot location and won't accept that device for data storage.
I've seen no firm description of WP's doing this but after several attempts to
save files we arrived at that conclusion.  No amount of prefix changes would
help either.  When the save was attempted, only the 5.25 disk was accessed.
The 3.5 light never even flickered indicating any level of access.
Considering the unlikely case that WP needs 800k of disk storage for itself,
this seems like a considerable waste.  Not to mention the fact that it defeats
the purpose of large capacity storage devices.  We didn't have the capability
to see how it would work off a harddisk but in my opinion that would severely
curtail any desire I might have to use WP (even if I did own my own GS).

Eric
------

scott@geowhiz.UUCP (Scott Kempf) (12/12/87)

In article <8712101823.aa14688@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> "MAJ ERIC S. FORD" <forde@eglin-vax.arpa> writes:
>His setup consisted of one 3.5" disk and one
>5.25" disk.  He was unable to use the 3.5 disk for data storage.  It seems that
>WP reserves its boot location and won't accept that device for data storage.
>Considering the unlikely case that WP needs 800k of disk storage for itself,
>this seems like a considerable waste.  Not to mention the fact that it defeats
>the purpose of large capacity storage devices.
>
>Eric
>------

WordPerfect works just fine this way.  This is how mine is set up.  I use
my 3.5" disk as a boot, work, and data disk all in one.  I have not problem,
except that WordPerfect does hog disk space.

					Scott
Scott Kempf                          Mother do you think they'll drop The Bomb?
MAIL:   1302 Rutledge St., Madison, WI  53703    PHONE:  (608) 255-6205  (home)
UUCP:   {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4}!uwvax!geowhiz!scott
ARPA:   geowhiz!scott@spool.wisc.edu             PHONE:  (608) 262-6154  (work)
BITNET: scott%geowhiz.uucp%spool.wisc.edu@wiscvm.bitnet