[comp.sys.apple] WordPerfect for the GS

burton@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Rex_Burton) (12/10/87)

A freind of mine who just got a gs asked me about word perfect for the
apple, and to be honest I don't know anything about it or even if it's
available. Does anyone have any info on wordperfect? thanks Rex

kus3@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (12/10/87)

In article <501@silver.bacs.indiana.edu> burton@silver.UUCP (Rex_Burton) writes:
>A freind of mine who just got a gs asked me about word perfect for the
>apple, and to be honest I don't know anything about it or even if it's
>available. Does anyone have any info on wordperfect? thanks Rex

A friend of mine told me that WordPerfect for the GS is available and retails
for $199. Couldn't say if it was either for 5.25" or 3.5" disks but I would
imagine it would be available for both.

Hope this helps.

--
Bob Kusumoto
	Internet: kus3@sphinx.uchicago.edu

jib@prism.UUCP (12/10/87)

RE: Wordperfect for the GS.

There is a version that has been available for at least 6 months (version
1.1 for the GS), BUT tell your friend to wait a few more weeks (at least).
Version 2.0 for the GS is just about to be released (they say -- it is now
a few months past due) and it is worth waiting for since the original
version was not mouse-based WYSIWYG, and the new version is supposed to be.

Jim Block  {cca, ihnp4!inmet, mit-eddie, wjh12, datacube} !mirror!prism!jib

Matthew Bender Inc, 11 Penn Plaza, NY, NY 10001 (212) 216-8018

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (12/11/87)

I have seen quite a few ads in magazines (like A+) about a New version of
Word Perfect for the //gs that supports the mouse interface.

Considering that current versions of Word Perfect are based upon the same
Ctrl codes used in the IBM-PC, I would think the ease of a mouse interface
alternative would be worth waiting for. Everything else about WP, from
its Thesaurus to its Prodos compatibility sounds like the best word processor
on the market.

But it's been all hype and no substance. Its release was postponed once, but
it should be out.

If anyone has or know someone who has this version of WP, a review would be
much
appreciated. So far, I have been a little discouraged with mouse-based word
processors
on the GS.

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.ARPA (12/13/87)

Yes, Rex and your friend, whoever you are (I receive info-apple by a
means that drops the return address so unless its included in the text I
can't tell) there is a WordPerfect for the GS.  Version 1.1, which was
more-or-less a port of the IIe version to the GS has been around for
awhile.  Version 2.0 has just been released, although I don't know how
far it has penetrated to dealers:  by virtue of having sent in a long
set of comments on 1.1 I was given the chance of being a beta test site
for 2.0; we (beta testers) received our copy of the "release" version
about two weeks ago.

Short description of 2.0:  operates almost completely with the mouse (if
you wish -- keyboard also usable for anything.)  Supports as many
windows as you have memory (i.e., you can be working on that many
documents:  I've had up to five on the screen at once.)  Although its
been awhile since I used the MS/DOS version the major things it is
missing from that are multiple columns, the math column feature,
red-lining/change bars, and lawyers line numbers.  Oh yes, it does not
have the automatic paragraph/ outline numbering features.  Other than
that the files are compatable with the MS/DOS versions.  Has Speller and
Thesaurus.  Footnotes (several styles possible) and endnotes;
Multiple-line Headers/Footers.  left, left/right indents; margin release
(for hanging indents.)  macros, including conditional.  Handles (at
least the imagewriter, the only printer I have) 144 dpi proportional
spacing font perfectly (e.g., when right justifying.)  Its a little slow
compared to something like Appleworks, but a lot more powerful.  Since
I've used it for so long I can't judge anymore how easy it would be for
a casual user to learn (I remember the MS/DOS version taking a little
while) but my guess is that with its pull-down menu interface the
learning curve would be pretty quick.  Oh yes, for those who use that
kind of thing, has a very flexible merge facility.

The interface is worth a longer description.  There are really three
ways of selecting "functions" (e.g., cut/paste a block) 1) major
functions are on one of about a half dozen pull-down menus (file, edit,
print, style, "special" ) etc.  -- there is also a separate menu entitle
"help" that has "all" the functions, but its purpose is really 2) by
typing control-"character", where "character" is the first letter of the
function you want, a portion of the "help" menu is displayed covering
that function and others with the same initial letter; typing more
characters (if necessary) moves down the menu to select the one you
want, so "close" (a file) could be selected by ctrl-c l CR (if I
remember right); 3) any function can have associated with it a single
key "keyboard-equivalent", either option-character or apple-character --
it comes with predefined equivalents for the common functions (e.g.,
close is option-c) {no keyboard overlays!  hurray}, but any existing one
can be changed and unused ones assigned.  single-keys (option or apple)
can also be defined as macros.  (my only disappointment here is that if,
say option-x is defined as a macro, apple-x is also the same macro and
would only have a different meaning if it were assigned as a
keyboard-equivalent ot an existing function.)

The numeric keypad is used as cursor control keys (as in the MS/DOS
version.)  User can select what colors he want the display to be in
(text, highlighted text (e.g., current block), bolded text, background)
All such things (keyboard-equivalents, varios default-settings) can be
saved in a file that is automatically used set them on booting.

The latest version (2.0d) still has a few minor bugs (e.g., it lost
track of the end of page when there were too many footnotes; can't have
both HEADER A and B on at the same time (not a real problem, since a
header can be arbitrarily long)) but is already far more robust than 1.1
ever was and I think even than the last version of the MS/DOS one I
used; the minor bugs will of course be corrected shortly -- we have been
told that the remaining 4.2 features will also be incorportated.  (no
schedule)

That help any?

TMPLee@Dockmaster.ARPA