[comp.sys.apple] Open-Apple on Apple ][+

dr@ski.UUCP (David Robins) (12/16/87)

In article <> bill@zehntel.UUCP (Bill Ellis) writes:
>Is there any way you can simulate a open-apple command on a apple ][+ with
>a ramfactor card installed, other then the ones for appleworks ?

Let me first describe the apple buttons on the //e.
The Open-Apple symbol on the //e is the same as closing SW0,
and Closed-Apple is the same as closing SW1.  There is no key for SW3.

Sw#'s refer to the "game port" switch connections,and are sometimes
referred to as PB0-PB2, for pushbuttons.

On the //e these signals are available on both the 16 pin internal
game I/O port, as well as the 9 pin D-connector on back.  On the
earlier Apples (][, ][+), there is only the internal game port.
My joystick has two pushbuttons corresponding to SW0 and SW1.
I PRESUME THAT USING THESE SWITCHES WILL LET YOUR SOFTWARE WORK,
ASSUMING THAT IT CAN RUN WITH THE FIRMWARE OF THE EARLIER APPLES.

To use the internal port then, either get a joystick, or make your own
switches.  Per the Apple manual, each switch input needs a 560 ohm pull-down
resistor from the SW pin to ground, with a momementary-contact normally-open
switch from the SW pin to +5V.  All are available on the connector.

GAME I/O PORT:

		9	8	GND
	PDL1	10	7	PDL2
	PDL3	11	6	PDL0
	AN3	12	5	STB
	AN2	13	4	SW2
	AN1	14	3	SW1/CL. APPLE
	AN0	15	2	SW0/OP. APPLE
		16	1	+5 V

                         /
			      |   (560 ohm)

                            (SW0 or SW1)
David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Foundation
(previously known as: Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Sciences)
2232 Webster St; San Francisco CA 94115
415/561-1705 (voice)
			{ihnp4,qantel,dual}!ptsfa!ski!dr

The opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of the Institute!