[comp.sys.apple] Applesoft Conversion Program Wanted

ferrill@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA ("JAMES P. FERRILL") (12/22/87)

Help

  I have a large ( >400K ) program written in Applesoft that I wish to port
over to the IBM.  Does anyone know of a translator program that would take
the Applesoft in and produce some dialect of Basic that is usable on the
IBM PC?  The main problem statements are all of the disk handling statements,
VTAB, and HTAB, and the various CALL statements that did neat things like
clear to the end of line, etc.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Ferrill
ferrill@eglin-vax.arpa
------

scott@geowhiz.UUCP (Scott Kempf) (12/23/87)

In article <8712211511.aa03061@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> "JAMES P. FERRILL" <ferrill@eglin-vax.arpa> writes:
>  I have a large ( >400K ) program written in Applesoft that I wish to port
>over to the IBM.  Does anyone know of a translator program that would take
>the Applesoft in and produce some dialect of Basic that is usable on the
>IBM PC?
>
>Paul Ferrill
>ferrill@eglin-vax.arpa

I don't know of any nifty program to do this (and I doubt you will be able
to find one).  I have converted programs to GW-BASIC from Applesoft before.
It is not very difficult.  First convert the Applesoft into text.  By adding
something like this to your program:

0 ?chr$(4)"open text":?chr$(4)"write text":list 1,:?chr$(4)"close":end

This creates a file called text which contains a listing of the program.

Next comes the hardest part:  You have to get this into MS-DOS.  Connecting
an Apple to a IBM by serial is the easiest way.  Doing this has been
discussed before.

One you have a file on the IBM you need a word processor (like WordPerfect)
that can read in a text file.  You set the margins to the maximum size (to
prevent word warping) and reading the text file.

You must then change all HTAB, VTAB, PRINT D$ (ie DOS commands), HGR, HGR2,
GR, TEXT, HPLOT, PLOT, CALL, FN, etc commands to similar GW-BASIC commands.
Note that change CALL commands can be VERY difficult.  It is nice to use a
word processor when doing this so that you can search for these key words.

With experience in Applesoft and a GW-BASIC manual I had little trouble doing
this.  It is especially easy if the program is well written.

                                        Scott
Scott Kempf                          Blue itself teaches us blue.  -Bill Ranson
MAIL:   1302 Rutledge St., Madison, WI  53703    PHONE:  (608) 255-6205  (home)
UUCP:   {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4}!uwvax!geowhiz!scott
ARPA:   geowhiz!scott@spool.wisc.edu             PHONE:  (608) 262-6154  (work)
BITNET: scott%geowhiz.uucp%spool.wisc.edu@wiscvm.bitnet

schumann@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Christopher Schumann) (12/24/87)

In article <8712211511.aa03061@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA>, ferrill@EGLIN-VAX.ARPA ("JAMES P. FERRILL") writes:
>   I have a large ( >400K ) program written in Applesoft that I wish to port
> over to the IBM. ^^^!!!!^^

How in the world is it possible to make a progame that is
400K?
Applesoft itself will not recognize memory expansion.

Just curious....

Chris Schumann			schumann@leyden.cs.wisc.edu