[comp.sys.apple] IIGS Ram Upgrade Infor

jib@prism.UUCP (12/30/87)

I am interested in expanding my Apple Memory Expansion card (for the IIGS)
from 512K to the full 1M.  Current dealer prices are about $70/256K (8
chips, or about $8.75 each).  I know the chips are 41256 DRAM chips, but a
letter in a recent InCider explained that there are two varieties of 41256
chips, and that the GS requires the "CAS-RAS" variety.  Can anyone who
knows more about memory chips than I do, give me some pointers to
acceptable chips in the $3 to $4 each range?

Thanks.

Jim Block  {cca, ihnp4!inmet, mit-eddie, wjh12, datacube} !mirror!prism!jib

Matthew Bender Inc, 11 Penn Plaza, NY, NY 10001 (212) 216-8018

dr@ski.UUCP (David Robins) (01/01/88)

In article <> jib@prism.UUCP writes:

>I am interested in expanding my Apple Memory Expansion card (for the IIGS)
>from 512K to the full 1M.  Current dealer prices are about $70/256K (8
>chips, or about $8.75 each).  I know the chips are 41256 DRAM chips, but a
>letter in a recent InCider explained that there are two varieties of 41256
>chips, and that the GS requires the "CAS-RAS" variety.  Can anyone who
>knows more about memory chips than I do, give me some pointers to
>acceptable chips in the $3 to $4 each range?

There is a good list in the Applied Engineering GS Ram manual.
I use NEC , but they are also available from Hitachi (as the 50256),
ans from Fujitsu, to name a few.  You need the 150 nanosecond or
faster - they have a suffix of -15 if 150 ns., or -12 if 120 ns.

I bought mine from Jameco Electronics, from ads in maggazines.  They
carry the 41256, but they have both types of chips usually,
CAS-before-RAS, and the regular type.  Ask their technical department
which is the current manufacturer of the CAS-before-RAS chips that
they have in stock, and specify this to the person on the order phone.
A few months ago they were $3.25 each, but I understand they are now
up to $3.95 each.  (They have NEC chips at the present.)
--
					-dave

David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Foundation
(previously known as: Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Sciences)
2232 Webster St; San Francisco CA 94115
415/561-1705 (voice)
			{ihnp4,qantel,dual}!ptsfa!ski!dr

The opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of the Institute!