[comp.sys.apple] Applelink?...

SJDMK@UNO.BITNET (01/02/88)

Every once in a while I here mention of Applelink. What is it? Is it
something like BITnet or ARPAnet? How is it accessed?

                         Steve

eddings@apple.UUCP (Ken Eddings) (01/05/88)

In article <8801012259.aa25429@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> SJDMK@UNO.BITNET writes:
>Every once in a while I here mention of Applelink. What is it? Is it
>something like BITnet or ARPAnet? How is it accessed?
>
>                         Steve

AppleLink is Apple's own communication system.  This allows dealers, vendors,
VARs, Apple employees across the country, and user group ambassadors to
keep connected with each other.  This would be the service a dealer would
use to find out about updates, upgrades, and promotions.

Out of the thousand or so user groups that have registered with us, about
three hundred have AppleLink.  We allow one ambassador from each user group
to stay in touch with use on AppleLink.  He then becomes the communicator for
his group's members.  AppleLink has just been released for the Apple II, so
this number is expected to grow.  If you are a member of a user group, and it
is registered with Apple's User Group Connection, check with your ambassador
to see if they have AppleLink access.  Each group is responsible for their
connect charges, with a minimum of two hours charged to each group each month.
(This works out to about $13.)  If your group is interested in registering
with Apple, or would like more information about AppleLink, you can write to

The Apple User Group Connection
Apple Computer, Inc. M/S
20525 Mariani Ave.
Cupertino, CA  95014

attn: Terry Mock

There has been some effort to gate AppleLink to one of the larger national
nets, (maybe BITNET?), but efforts are prelimenary and under evaluation.

  Ken Eddings		      CSNET:  eddings@apple.CSNET
  Apple Computer M/S 36AA AppleLink:  eddings2
  20525 Mariani Ave	       UUCP: {sun,voder,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!eddings
  Cupertino, CA 95014	   Internet:  eddings@apple.COM
  Home: (408)243-2763          Work: (408)973-4060
  "The prudent mariner will never rely solely on any single aid to navigation"