[comp.sys.apple] gs questions

jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (Jack Fine) (12/23/87)

What is the new Finder for the GS?  I called a local Apple store and they
didn't know what I was talking about and offered me a system disk upgrade
to 3.1.  Is this what I want?

Anyone heard any more on gs speedup cards?  I heard a couple of companies
were working on them some time ago but haven't heard much in recent
weeks(months).  Seems to me Applied Engineering was the first I heard about
making speedup cards (to 15 mhz) but more recently I saw somewhere that
another company was working on one.

Thanks

Jack

g-mccann@GUMBY.CS.WISC.EDU ("Lester I. McCann") (12/23/87)

Yes, System Disk 3.1 is the one you want.  It has the Finder on it.

The only speedup card that seems to actually exist is one being produced
by MDIdeas.  An article I just read in the Jan '88 issue of Computer
Shopper says they are expecting a release in the first quarter of '88.  The
story also mentions a possible speedup of 4 times over a standard gs.  Now,
*that* would be a nice addition to my system!

Lester McCann     g-mccann@gumby.cs.wisc.edu

hangetsu@cgdra.ucar.edu (Dan Baldwin) (12/24/87)

In article <901@pbhyc.UUCP> jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (Jack Fine) writes:
>What is the new Finder for the GS?  I called a local Apple store and they
>didn't know what I was talking about and offered me a system disk upgrade
>to 3.1.  Is this what I want?

 The finder is a neat item that should be on your 3.1 upgrade. When you boot
up the system disk you must have close to 512K free RAM to get the FINDER
 otherwise you just get the program launcher. Also it seems that your
RAM disk should have the minimum size set equal to the maximum size. If
 you cant get the FINDER set the size to zero and try again.

tgm@xroads.UUCP (Sloan Tash) (12/25/87)

The only company I've heard doing anything to speed the IIgs up is the guys
who make ZipChip. But I wouldn't count on it too soon.. :->

TGM
ihnp4!mot!nud!xroads!tgm
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 \/   (602) 971-2240

In article <901@pbhyc.UUCP> jdf@pbhyc.UUCP (Jack Fine) writes:
>What is the new Finder for the GS?  I called a local Apple store and they
>didn't know what I was talking about and offered me a system disk upgrade
>to 3.1.  Is this what I want?

Yes.  The IIGS Finder is somewhat slow, though one gets used to it.

>Anyone heard any more on gs speedup cards?

There is a new, faster CPU chip and at least one "third party" seems
to be offering a IIGS speedup kit, called something like GS/X.

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple was also heading in this direction.
I hear that they have a large R&D budget for the II family this year.
With over a quarter million IIGSs sold do far, maybe they finally
got the message about who "the rest of us" really are.