[comp.sys.apple] ZIPCHIP DELIVERIES

CS656@OUACCVMB.BITNET (12/26/87)

WELL, THANKSGIVING IS LONG GONE.  HOW ARE THOSE ZIPCHIPS WORKING?

mkao@pnet01.cts.COM (Mike Kao) (12/26/87)

Bahahaha! Zip Technologies is such a joke! I ordered TWO chips at AppleFest
(that was, oh...4 months ago?) and haven't received them yet. Frankly, I'm
getting more than a little ticked off at their service. I called them 3 times.
The first couple of times they said that they hoped to take care of all the
backlog by Christmas! HAH! Christmas has come and gone now. I called them
again, and they said that their assembly plants are down due to the holiday
season, blah-blah, bs, bs, etc. Fine! They shouldn't have made earlier
promises!

Now that I've released some steam, I'd just like to advise those of you who
haven't gotten these yet to WAIT until they actually materialize. The only
reason I haven't pulled out and gotten my refund is because I desperately need
the speed for my //e. As soon as I receive my chips, I'll post a summary on
its performance here.

To insure my reception of any replies, please respond via e-mail. Thanks!

                                                                  -- Mike Kao

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!mkao
ARPA: crash!pnet01!mkao@nosc.mil
INET: mkao@pnet01.CTS.COM

dr@ski.UUCP (David Robins) (12/27/87)

In article <> pnet01!mkao@nosc.MIL writes:
>Bahahaha! Zip Technologies is such a joke! I ordered TWO chips at AppleFest
>(that was, oh...4 months ago?) and haven't received them yet. Frankly, I'm
>.. . . . . . . . . . The only
>reason I haven't pulled out and gotten my refund is because
>I desperately need the speed for my //e.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>As soon as I receive my chips, I'll post a summary on
>its performance here.
>                                                                  -- Mike Kao
For those who so "desparately need the speed" now, why not get an
acelerator card, assuming there is space for it in your //e?.  The
Titan and Transwarp cards offer clock speeds of about 3.5 X normal,
compared to the 4 X speed claimed for the ZIP CHIP.

I've been using a Titan Accelerator //e for about 3 years now, and
could not live without it.  I do have a totally packed //e, but since
most slot cards cannot be used in slot 3 anyway, due to on-card ROM, I
have no problem allocating slot 3 to the Accelerator.
--
					-dave

David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Foundation
(previously known as: Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Sciences)
2232 Webster St; San Francisco CA 94115
415/561-1705 (voice)
			{ihnp4,qantel,dual}!ptsfa!ski!dr

The opinions expressed herein do not reflect the opinion of the Institute!

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (01/05/88)

In article <8712260856.AA15345@crash.cts.com> pnet01!mkao@nosc.MIL writes:
>Bahahaha! Zip Technologies is such a joke! I ordered TWO chips at AppleFest
>(that was, oh...4 months ago?) and haven't received them yet. Frankly, I'm
>getting more than a little ticked off at their service. I called them 3 times.
>The first couple of times they said that they hoped to take care of all the
>backlog by Christmas! HAH! Christmas has come and gone now. I called them
>again, and they said that their assembly plants are down due to the holiday
>season, blah-blah, bs, bs, etc. Fine! They shouldn't have made earlier
>promises!
>                                                                  -- Mike Kao

Well, I was reading an old computer shopper, and one of the articles
mentioned the Zip Chip.  Now, it seems this guy looked up all the people
that are in the add.  They don't seem to exist.  You know:  John Doe of
Santa Clara says "I can't believe it works so well!" -- except there's no
listing for john doe in santa clara. . .

Perhaps I was too trusting of them (though I did not buy one. . . :-)

Sean Kamath

--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET

LORIES@BUCLLN11.BITNET (GUY LORIES) (01/06/88)

Thank You