[comp.sys.apple] Laser 128?

drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) (11/25/86)

Has anyone out there heard of an Apple IIe-compatible called the
"Laser 128" from some outfit called Central Printer in Colorado for
$395?  A friend of mine is considering buying one.

Dale
--
Dale Worley		Cullinet Software
UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!cullvax!drw

neves@ai.WISC.EDU (David M. Neves) (11/25/86)

I saw a Laser 128 briefly at a local Computer Store.  I didn't see it
running but I did try the keyboard.  If your friend wants to use it
for word processing I would strongly recommend getting a //c,//e instead
as the Laser keyboard feels very bad (like a Commodore 64).
--
David Neves, Computer Sciences Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Usenet:  {allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!neves

galyen@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Robert Galyen) (11/26/86)

In article <569@cullvax.UUCP>, drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) writes:

> Has anyone out there heard of an Apple IIe-compatible called the
> "Laser 128" from some outfit called Central Printer in Colorado for
> $395?  A friend of mine is considering buying one.

The Laser 128 is distributed by CPS, in Portland, OR (503/244-5782).  It is
a IIE comp. with one expansion slot and several built in serial/parallel
ports or printer, modem, disk drive, etc. connections and sells for $395.
Check the various Apple II magazines for their advertisements.

--robert--

-------------------------------

halp@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Bruce P. Hzlalpern) (11/30/86)

comp.sys.apple

The Laser 128 is distributed in the United States by Central Point Software, 9700 SW Capitol Highway, #100, Portland OR 97219 tel: 503-244-5782. Price is about $400. It can be purchased from a number of sources. It is an Apple IIc clone. Its advantages are: lower price, built in numeric pad, function keys, slot (=slot #7) for add-on card, and parallel (as well as serial) port. Its disadvantages are inability to run some Apple IIc software (e.g., Macroworks, Apple IIc utility disk, Expanded Bookends. NOTE:
It does run AppleWorks, at least v1.2. Haven't tried v2.0 on it), somewhat larger size than IIc (although still portable), and necessity to return unit to Central Point for service (my experience with their warantee service is good: turn-around of about one week, no hassel).

It's certainly an excellent first computer for a young person, or for anyone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money (note that a video monitor, printer, second disk drive [one is built-in, as with a IIc], must be purchased separately, if needed. Otherwise, only low-resolution, 40 column display will be possible on a normal TV.

My application is as a dedicated unit, taking in joy-stick positions thru the game port (it does this at about 300 hz, rather faster than needed), and then automatically processing results. Works very well.

ranger@ecsvax.UUCP (Rick N. Fincher) (12/02/86)

In article <569@cullvax.UUCP>, drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) writes:

> Has anyone out there heard of an Apple IIe-compatible called the
> "Laser 128" from some outfit called Central Printer in Colorado for
> $395?  A friend of mine is considering buying one.
It's sold by Central Point Software.  It's very compatible and a good
bargain for the price.  It has a 5.25 disk and a II compatible slot.
It's a low cost machine, though, so don't expect selectric keyboard
feel, it's a little spongey.  See the Dec. issue of insider for a
review.

Rick Fincher

hyman@ICS.UCI.EDU (Glenn Hyman) (12/02/86)

nine years expereance lets me answer this:
  It is like having the money to buy a motorcycle and settling for
a ten speed.  It wont go as fast and you cant take it out on the
freeway to play with the big boys

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/07/88)

We have been using a Laser 128 to run experiments for about two years now. It
has been very satisfactory. It appears to be compatible with most Apple
software (certainly with AppleWorks 2.0). There may have been a problem in

compiling MacroWorks (or was it SuperMacroWork) macros, but compiled macros
executed o.k. The external 5.25 inch drive is also o.k. The Technical Manual
is useful.

Lots of good prices can be seen in _A+_ and _Computer Shopper_.

p.s. We also use ][e, ][c, IBM AT, and DEC 11/24.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |