[comp.sys.apple] all the messages I got over break...and then some.

LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET (01/05/88)

Re:  booting your 3.5 with ROMDISK set as boot:

As far as I know, you can't boot a 3.5 drive when you have RAMDISK or
ROMDISK set as boot drives.  Since only the first disk in a chain can be
booted (ie, slot 5, drive 1, or slot 6, drive 1), the system reorganizes
the order of the drives, putting the specified boot drive first, followed
by later disks.  In the configuration you have, the ROMDISK is 5,1 and the
3.5 would be 5,2.  If you want to boot the drive, you would have to switch
your boot over to slot 5 or scan.

As for the MemorySaver and other "ROMdrives", how do they work?  Is it a
battery RAM backup, or does it actually have ROM, and how does it look to
the computer?  If you have two memory cards, are they sequenced together, or
can you only access one of them?

Re: Finder

What use is the Desktop?  Is there a program which uses it yet?  It seems
pointless to have a desktop if it can't be filled.

And, last but not least, I am in the process of writing a VT220 emulator
for the GS and was wondering - is there a quick way (from machine language)
to determine the input and output points of a serial card (or the GS port)?

Les Barstow
BITNET:  LMB7421@RITVAX
  UUCP:...{psuvax1 rutgers}!rochester!ritcv!ultb!lmb7421

In article <8801042015.aa10562@SMOKE.BRL.ARPA> LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET writes:
>Re: Finder
>What use is the Desktop?  Is there a program which uses it yet?  It seems
>pointless to have a desktop if it can't be filled.

Sure; I use the Finder all the time to perform file management on my
hard disk.  The only thing really missing is "switcher" (task multiplexer)
support; it appears that the ToolKit has adequate support for this,
which may have to run as an NDA.  I hope somebody comes up with one
soon, along with a reliable way for a task to determine if it has
control of the whole machine or is being multiplexed by a window system.

hangetsu@cgdra.ucar.edu (Dan Baldwin) (01/07/88)

   Another great thing about the FINDER (something I have not discovered
any where else) is its ability to copy disks of different sizes,
specifically a 5.25" to a 3.5", none of the copy programs or old
systems utilities that I have are able to do this.

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (01/07/88)

If a disk is formatted first, rather than doing a DISKCOPY, ProSel's
catdoctor, or even Apple's file copy part of Systems Utility, will copy
from one size mass storage to another.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

tgm@xroads.UUCP (Sloan Tash) (01/07/88)

It it essentially battery backed-up RAM, but the memory savor sticks a ROM
Header on the top to make it look like ROM to the IIgs. This is a pretty neet
trick, but not the technnilogical breakthru that CheckMate claims.

ihnp4!crash!xroads!tgm

TGM
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 \/   (602) 971-2240